Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Looking for a good price on soup bones

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 am

I've been canning in a fairly major way all summer, mostly the 65 pints of green beans that I grew and picked. Also did soup beans and applesauce. Have done one very successful batch of chicken stock. Have plans for growing lots of tomatoes for sauce next year. Right now, I'm interested in trying my hand at beef bone broth. I've always made beef stock when I make a batch of vegetable soup, but this would be on a much larger scale.

Any suggestions on local places where I can pick up knuckle bones, shank bones, etc. at something less than an arm and a leg? I'm talking about 10 to 20 pounds worth. I just can't imagine doing this if I have to pay $4 a pound for a bunch of bones. And I'm not inclined to tackle this unless I can come up with enough bones to make a full batch for canning.

Thx.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Looking for a good price on soup bones

by RichardM » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:06 am

Lois,

You can check with Kingsley, Frank's, KY Bison & Boone's in Bardstown.

Butcher's still have bone barrels, but now instead of having to pay animal feed producers to haul it away, they get paid for that 'waste'. That is why they cost, and cost so much.

You might check with other SMALL butchers that handle wild animal processing as they usually do cattle and pork as well and you might get them at a lower cost there. On the cost side you might get one to two other HotByte Forum members to go in with you and split the cost of 40 lbs of beef bones & share the bones or share the canned broth.

If you have any luck please post back about it. NOTHING makes better veggie soup than home made beef stock.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Looking for a good price on soup bones

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Frank, and the encouragement. I'm going to check at church tomorrow to get a contact at Memphis Meat Processing. Maybe they can hook me up. :-)
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org