Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

Locally-grown winter produce?

by Erin Riedel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:58 pm

I've been reading Alice Waters's The Art of Simple Food. As I'm sure most of you know, she's big on eating seasonal, locally-grown produce. The farmers' market is the obvious place to go during the rest of the year, but what happens during the winter? Is there any local winter produce to be had around here?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Locally-grown winter produce?

by Steve Shade » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 am

Erin Riedel wrote:I've been reading Alice Waters's The Art of Simple Food. As I'm sure most of you know, she's big on eating seasonal, locally-grown produce. The farmers' market is the obvious place to go during the rest of the year, but what happens during the winter? Is there any local winter produce to be had around here?

Greg Graft operates a greenhouse operation in the west end (the old Henry Vogt property.) This place is not open to the public, only wholesale.

Check with Creation Gardens and you will find some of his products. This place has a lot of stuff you won't find in Krogers etc. It is mainly wholesale, but welcomes the public.

Any time that people want to see hard to obtain products, it is good place to go.
no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

long post

by vern cline » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:21 pm

We have squash and pumpkin in the basement bought from the Farmers Market a month ago.
Wife and I had lettuce from backyard garden last week but the cover blew off so no more this year. Lettuce is good unless there is frost that hits it. See - Elliott Coleman "The For Season Harvest"
Growing up on the farm in Southern Indiana we kept potatoes and onions in the cellar through the non growing season. One of my best memories is the very small potatoes 1-2" just startig to shrivel, my mother would deep fry them in lard. They were too small to peel, so we ate with skin on, with home made ketchup.
We have dehydrated tomatoes and eggplant and frozen peppers and grilled eggplant in our refrigerator freezer.
In short it takes planning the way our grandparents, in my case parents did. Plan ahead.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

I've been looking too

by Bethy Johnson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:34 am

Dying for some fresh collards. Tried some from Paul's and they were just middlin. I know out of all those farmers at the summer markets somebody's got to be sitting on a pile of collards.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: I've been looking too

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:21 am

Bethy Johnson wrote:Dying for some fresh collards. Tried some from Paul's and they were just middlin. I know out of all those farmers at the summer markets somebody's got to be sitting on a pile of collards.

For what it's worth, the Bardstown Road Farmer's Market is still open, with at least a few vendors out there. Their Email bulletin this week referred mostly to Fiedler meats, but if you're anywhere close to Bardstown Road near Speed Avenue (just a few blocks south of Eastern Parkway), you might try to get over there this morning. They open at 8 ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:. Their Email bulletin this week referred mostly to Fiedler meats,

How does one get on the email bulletin, Robin? I've never seen reference to it before (maybe it's only available to influential journalists!).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:47 am

TP Lowe wrote:How does one get on the email bulletin, Robin? I've never seen reference to it before (maybe it's only available to influential journalists!).

HAHAHA! I got on the list by being an influential journalist, all right. ;) Actually, I just signed up on the tablet they had out on a table every weekend.

Try sending an Email to kleeford (at) psci.net - that's the address it comes from. I'm sure they'll be delighted to add you on.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:48 am

I'll give it a go - many thanks.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Believe this was the last day for this farmers market.