Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Nanaimo Bars Recipe

no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Nanaimo Bars Recipe

by Gretchen D. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:21 am

This makes an 11x15 inch pan, half the ingredients for a 9x9 pan.

Nanaimo Bars

4 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup walnuts or pecans
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup vanilla pudding powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup white rum
6 oz. semisweet chocolate
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate

(Note: I use Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa and Ghiradelli chocolate chips)
Also, I like a thicker vanilla custard layer than some recipes out there... if you do not prefer it that way, don't put all the custard on and adjust the amount when you make it again.

In the top of a double boiler combine 2 sticks of butter, the granulated sugar, cocoa, egg, and vanilla. Heat and stir over hot water until the butter has melted. (Alternately, to use the microwave: Combine the butter, sugar and cocoa and heat at 30% power until melted, stirring occasionally. When melted, add lightly beaten eggs and vanilla and stir until combined and smooth.) Remove from heat and add the crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Spread the mixture in an ungreased 11x15 pan and set aside.

Soften 2 sticks of the butter and mix with the confectioner's sugar. Combine the pudding mix powder, milk and rum and beat into the butter mixture. Spread over the prepared crust and refrigerate until the pudding has set.

Melt the chocolate with 4 Tbsp butter over low heat (or in the microwave at 30% power), carefully pour over the custard and spread smooth. Refrigerate until the icing is firm. Cut into squares using a sharp knife (cut slowly or you will crack the top chocolate layer).

Enjoy! If any of this does not make sense, let me know. I have not compiled my recipe before... I usually fly be the seat of my pants! :lol:
Last edited by Gretchen D. on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen these little pieces of heaven, I found some great photos of Nanaimo Bars on Flickr.com

http://flickr.com/search/?q=Nanaimo+Bar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm

We made the bars last night using Gretchen's recipe and they were a huge success! We're thinking about making a big batch for hostess gifts and such for the holidays.

Regarding the recipe, we didn't really have any problems with it. The only moment of pause was when we came to the "pudding" step. I was a little unclear about whether we were supposed to make the pudding according to the package instructions first. Or if we were supposed to simply add a 1/2 cup of the unprepared powder. We finally opted for the latter and everything worked out well.

I used half & half instead of milk and left out the rum (only because I didn't want to purchase a whole bottle of rum for the recipe) If I had had the rum on hand, I would have certainly included it.

By the way, we halved the recipe and used an 8x8 pan. I highly recommed the rest of you foodies give this one a try. You have no idea what you are missing! Thanks Gretchen for sharing!
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:23 pm

We made them a couple of days ago. These things are good.

A couple of notes:

1) That is one big batch in the original recipe. Great if you're doing Christmas treats for giveaway or big party, but way more than one would need otherwise.

2) How do you cut them well? I tried the slow trick, but the chocolate still broke up more than I would like.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Hey there!

I am glad you liked the recipe.

As far as making a big batch, as I stated at the top of my post, just cut the recipe in half to make a 9x9 pan which is way better for just your own consumption. That being said, I make the large recipe because I eat some, give some away, and freeze some. They freeze well and don't take long to thaw when you are having a chocolate moment. (OK, I have those on frequent evenings because I home school 3 children and I am around them 24/7. My sanity requires chocolate... and beer!)

Leann did the pudding part right... you just use the pudding powder and add the milk and confectioners sugar.

As far as the chocolate on top cracking, add a little extra butter to the chocolate when you make the final layer to alleviate this problem. This will make the top layer softer... But don't make it too soft or else it will be messier to eat (it is a fine line). I use Ghiradelli chocolate chips, but other brands might be harder to start with. I do cut slow and use a serrated knife... maybe I forgot to say that I use a serrated knife. I think I started doing that after my chocolate top cracked... but it still tasted good!

Hope this helps... all this talk is making me want one!!!
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Gretchen, I wasn't complaining about the size, it just made more than I was expecting.

As for cutting them:
1) are yours chilled when you cut them or room temp? I was cutting them chilled.
2) I tried a serrated knife tonight without success. Then I tried a very sharp knife and scored the chocolate several times it worked pretty well.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:47 pm

I had a little difficulty cutting them also. Two approaches I had planned to try on the next batch to see if it makes cutting any easier.....

1) Add more butter to the top layer

2) Make the cuts before the top layer has had a chance to completely "set up". Then chill them. Then come back to the previously made cuts.

Gretchen - Have you ever tried making your cuts before the top sets up? If so, did it work?
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Leann C wrote:Gretchen - Have you ever tried making your cuts before the top sets up? If so, did it work?

I have not tried cutting the top layer before it sets, Leann. It does sound like a good idea. Please let me know how that works out if you try it... I won't be making them anytime real soon again because I did make the huge pan and still have them in the freezer. I did not have problems with cracking this time as I used the serrated knife and went slow sawing back and forth through just the top layer, then I went back with another knife to cut through the crust... it did take awhile and I am not a patient person, so if your technique works, I'd love to know!