Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Learned a new kitchen tip today. What's your favorite?

by Lois Mauk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Purely by accident, I ran across a link to this video today:
http://sfglobe.com/?id=1407&src=share_fb_new_1407

It just so happens that I bought my first watermelon of the season today and happened to watch this first.

Maybe everyone else on the planet already knows about this, but I tried this technique and it really WORKED! Yeah, it took me two minutes instead of ten seconds but, in my defense, my watermelon was bigger, the rind was thicker and I really wasn't working with the best possible knife. Still, I was very pleased with the results. Much, much less waste and much, much less mess. Almost no juice to contend with until I started cutting the "peeled" watermelon into slabs and cubing it.

So what's YOUR favorite kitchen tip?

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Learned a new kitchen tip today. What's your favorite?

by Carla G » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 am

Thanks Lois! I will most definitely give this a try.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Learned a new kitchen tip today. What's your favorite?

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:52 pm

I might try it some time just to see how it works for me, but we don't eat a lot of watermelon.

As for "favorite kitchen tips," though, one of my favorites is breaking down a whole bulb (or a multi-clove section) of garlic by laying it on the board, putting the flat side of my chef's knife over it, and whacking hard, flattening the whole thing. It them becomes amazingly easy to pull the papery skin out and quick-chop the rest. (With a big clove, it's also helpful to cut off and discard the top shoulders first.)