Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Tapioca Pearls

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Tapioca Pearls

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:29 am

Does anyone know where to find large tapioca pearls? Is this a common ingredient that can be picked up at Kroger or Doll's? Had a request for tapioca pudding and figured I would try to make it at home from an Alton Brown recipe.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 am

The only place I have seen the large pearls is an Amish store in Ohio. You might call Paul at Nut N Stuff, it he does not have it, he may be able to order it. I have about a quart of them right now if you need to borrow a cup! :D :wink: Or for a really surprising dish, get the huge pearls for bubble tea at Dua Ha (may be spelled wrong) on Preston Hwy south of Fern Valley.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:41 am

Thanks, Suzi. I'll settle for large or small pearls if I can find them locally. Odd, I enjoy tapioca pudding but have never made it.

What is the word on coming back to work?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Been doin the light duty thing at the CPR Center. Still arguing with the surgeon, but he is releasing me to my family doc. Still 50/50. Took the trip to Frankfort and have more info than I wanted, need to get an accountant to figure out my options.

Most groceries carry tapioca pearls, usually small Reasor brand. Look up at the pudding area.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Thanks, Suzi. I'll settle for large or small pearls if I can find them locally. Odd, I enjoy tapioca pudding but have never made it.

I've seen pearls at Kroger and Valu Market in Mid City Mall, but I'm not sure about the size.
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 am

They had a large selection of tapioca pearls at the ValuMarket by VK. All different colors, even! I assume those pretty ones are for bubble tea? I begged my husband to get me some, but he tricked me and asked what I would do with them. Apparently "Look at them" is not good enough.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks all. Tapioca pudding with colorful pearls would be a great treat to take to a holiday potluck!

My bride usually asks me the same, Lori. I always respond "...and I would have gotten away with it too, except for you meddlesome kids." :D