Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

What three knives are most important to you?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 am

What three knives are most important to you? My chef's knife is my go-to, and the serrated is great for slicing bread. The paring/utility knife makes a decent third option, but I like my Chinese cleaver, too!

Foodista.com wrote:Three Knives Every Cook Should Have
The most important tool in the kitchen is a knife. While a knife block looks pretty on the countertop, it comes at a hefty price tag and is usually filled with knives you'll...

Rull article on Foodista.com:
http://www.foodista.com/blog/2014/06/16 ... hould-have
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: What three knives are most important to you?

by Carla G » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 am

Love all my knives but have recently learned to love my pair of jointed chef shears. Makes cutting up a chicken a breeze. Also use them for quick julienne herbs and once cutting a pizza. (Although I admit, it just didn't seem right cutting the pizza that way.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Chef's and serrated (bread and tomatoes) for me, too. The rest are also-rans, but next up would be two with thin blades one about 6 inches long (boning knife?) and one about 12 inches long (carving knife?). I rarely use a paring knife and use the chef's for small jobs where others might use a smaller knife. I feel like I have better control on the chef's.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Similar here, Jay. I love my 9-inch chef's knife - really don't need anything bigger - a Chicago Cutlery that I've had since 1974 (!) before they were bought out and took a quality tumble. I do agree with the serrated, which I don't use often but really beats the competition when I need it, mostly for slicing bread. The third is kind of a tossup for me, too. Paring knife, probably, but there I'm torn between a very nice CHi-Cutlery of similar vintage or a modern model I got on an Internet deal, with a micro-something blade that has a grippy cut and never needs sharpening. Or my real made-in-China-bought-in-Chinatown cleaver that keeps an amazingly sharp edge. I do like to play with knives (kitchen knives), and put out some bucks for a Santoku that I don't use much, and a small ceramic mini-chef knife that's pretty nice. And more, but we did say just three. :oops:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:37 pm

These....

Fillet Knife.jpg
Fillet Knife.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

Puma Skinner.jpg
Puma Skinner.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

Case Russlock.jpg
Case Russlock.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Don Wagaman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

by Don Wagaman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm

I generally agree with the author, but believe having special purpose knives makes life simpler. All my knives are Wusthof. I have three different chef's knives, two different standard variety, and one Santoku which is used most. I have three serrated knives of different lengths, one is supposedly for tomato slicing. I have seven different paring knives, one is serrated and one is a bird beak design, one is serrated, and one has a santoku edge, and the others are normal paring knives of different lengths.(all are not shown in the attachment) In addition, I have a carving knife and a fish filleting knife,
Attachments
knives.jpg
knives.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
gastrobubba

I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage. - Erma Bombeck
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 am

Question -
What is the "bird beak" paring knife designed for?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm eager to hear Don's answer, since it's one of his favorites, but I'll take a shot at it until he comes along: It's intended for precision cutting of small items, turning the blade toward you. In an haute kitchen, for tourné, making foo-foo little rounded veggies. :mrgreen: I don't have one, but I wouldn't mind playing with one if I saw one.