Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Ceramic Ginger Grater

no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Ceramic Ginger Grater

by Gena W. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Has anyone seen a ceramic ginger grater for sale locally? I can find one online for about 6 bucks, but then they want another 6 bucks to ship it. I just hate that. I don't get into the asian grocery stores often, so I was hoping someone on this site had seen one recently. Thank you!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:34 pm

I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 pm

I saw one at World Market just last week. I can't remember the price on it but I don't think it was very expensive. It was shaped like a fish if I'm remembering correctly.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:11 pm

For what it's worth I haven't used my ceramic grater since I bought a microplane- it does the same job with half the effort.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:19 pm

GaryF wrote:For what it's worth I haven't used my ceramic grater since I bought a microplane- it does the same job with half the effort.

Now that I think about it, neither have I!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

ginger grater

by Sonja W » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm

GaryF wrote:For what it's worth I haven't used my ceramic grater since I bought a microplane- it does the same job with half the effort.

I agree that a microplane does a far better job. With the ceramic grater, you have to pick the ginger out of those raised teeth. With the microplane, the ginger just drops off the other side of the blade.
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thanks everyone.

by Gena W. » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 am

I don't yet have a microplane (BB&Beyond?) but am glad to hear that it would be the better alternative. What prompted this thread was that my mom was inquiring about a better ginger grater than her current one - the universal "cheese grater" - which, truth be told, is what I still use. My only concern is the possibility of her grinding her fingertips along with the ginger! Are the microplanes sharper than the old-time cheese graters? She's far from feeble, just getting up there in years, so would the ceramic thing be a better choice for her? Thx again. Gena
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:16 am

Gena, the microplane is much, much safer than the old fashioned grater. The teeth are barely raised off the cutting plane and don't catch on flesh the way the old timers did- yet they manage to catch onto whatever you are grating and make the job a snap.
I still use my big grater when I am wanting shredded cheese for a casserole or carrots for a salad, but not often.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ceramic Ginger Grater

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 am

Gena W. wrote:Has anyone seen a ceramic ginger grater for sale locally? I can find one online for about 6 bucks, but then they want another 6 bucks to ship it. I just hate that. I don't get into the asian grocery stores often, so I was hoping someone on this site had seen one recently. Thank you!

Now that this discussion is off to a good start, I've moved it over to The Louisville Kitchen since it's really more about home cooking and tools than restaurants. Hope no one minds!

Adding to the microplane discussion, I'll recommend a great kitchen toy, er, tool: A sturdy box-shaped grater that has a large fine microplane on one side and coarse microplane on the other. It combines the benefits of both the microplane and the old-fashioned grater and can reduce a block of cheese to beautiful shreds in seconds.

I got mine at the old Gourmet to Go, which is sadly no longer with us, but I expect you could find something similar at Campbell's, The Dine Co., etc. Mine was a little over $20, as I recall, and worth it.

Another ginger tip: Peel a chunk of ginger and press it in a sturdy garlic press. It gives a different effect than grating, but does an amazing job of pressing out a quantity of delicious fresh ginger juice and a smaller amount of fine pulp, leaving a woody chunk inside the press that can be discarded.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

To add to Robin's tip:

The best way I've seen yet to peel ginger is to use a spoon to gently scrape the skin off. I saw this on Food Network (go fig!), and was skeptical, but it works like a charm, removing little, if any, of the actual ginger.
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

My bad

by Gena W. » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:05 pm

I have never been to the "Louisville Kitchen" Forum before!
Anyway, thanks to everyone's input I just purchased 2 microplanes, one for my mom and one for me. I never did see the ceramic grater at BB & Beyond, but it doesn't seem necessary, and perhaps even one more thing to clutter the finite kitchen drawer space.