Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Easy recipe ideas

no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Easy recipe ideas

by Sherrie G » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:32 pm

What recipes do you have for entertaining that are simple to make? Or your go-to, can't fail recipes?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Easy recipe ideas

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Sherrie,
Great topic! Are you thinking for dinner or appetizers?
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Here's my super simple app-

Red Pepper Jelly and Goat cheese with crackers

Bring goat cheese and cream cheese ( equal portions) to room temp
Cream in a bowl until smooth.
Place into a piece of Saran and form a flattened ball, wrapping Saran around the ball.
Refrigerate until firm

Serve on a plate at room temp, topped with a purchased red pepper jelly ( Stonewall Kitchen, Earth & Vine, etc - ths one is exceptional : http://www.earthnvine.com/p-30-font-sty ... i-jam.aspx)
Serve with stoneground crackers. Yum!
Deb
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks for the recipe, Deb! It sounds delicious and easy (which is key). I was looking for ideas for my upcoming Thunder Over Louisville party. Since we rarely (read: never) entertain at home, I wasn't even sure where to begin.

It seems that Robin once mentioned a recipe for gougères, saying they were great hot out of the oven, and just as good the next day so it's a great make-ahead treat for company. But after googling a recipe, it looks too advanced for me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

Sherrie G wrote:It seems that Robin once mentioned a recipe for gougères, saying they were great hot out of the oven, and just as good the next day so it's a great make-ahead treat for company. But after googling a recipe, it looks too advanced for me.

Sherrie, here's a link to my recipe ... it's really not too complicated. Make batter, spoon it onto a cookie sheet, bake. :)

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 1230.phtml
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Sherrie,
Here's another super easy, really popular for parties, recipe. This is very good despite the very simple recipe and ingredients; I make it annually because I get so many requests. You'll want a crock pot for this one- you make and serve it in one dish.
Ingredients:
1 jar ( 10-16 oz) salsa
1 loaf of White Velveeta ( the big boxed loaf. you can use yellow if you must but the white is better and you can find it at some Kroger's)
1 pkg ( 16 oz) Purnell Old Folks' brand Chorizo ( it comes in a tube like pork sausage)
1 pkg Tostitos or Fritos scoops ( I do both)

Dice velveeta into about 2 inch squares
Put the Chorizo in a sauté pan over medium heat, breaking into small pieces as it cooks. Cook stirring and breaking up pieces until all chorizo is cooked, then drain in colander.
Put first three ingredients in crockpot, with cheese on bottom. Cook in crockpot on high with for 1-2 hours until melted. Stir. Then leave on low covered or uncovered until you are ready to serve. ( note: I cook on high longer, uncovered until it gets thick, then drop to low and cover as I like it thicker) . Serve in crockpot with chips in a bowl next to it.
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Make these .. quick easy you can make ahead and freeze them and they are like dope ..

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hanky-pankies/