Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Turnips

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Turnips

by Carla G » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm trying to expand the range of vegetables I cook. Does anyone have a turnip recipe they could recommend?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Turnips

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Peel, cube, parboil, and use in any Indian curry, for one, maybe with some potato cubes and chunks of onion in the mix.

Or just mix turnips with potatoes for a mashed-root veg puree. (Note that turnips cook up "wetter" than potatoes, so you might not need to add much liquid other than maybe a little butter.)
no avatar
User

Michael Mattingly

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

Paris, France

by Michael Mattingly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Root vegetables make wonderful chips as well, though you may have been looking for something a bit more complicated. We do a lot of dinner parties at our place & we typically do a mixture of 3-4 root vegetable chips for aperitif & everyone loves them.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I wound up peeling and cubing 3 of 4 into a large pot of kale and steaming /cooking them down with a splash of red wine. They were quite tasty. Can't believe my mom never fixed them for us.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson