Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: Kroger's Watery Meat

by Mark A. » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 am

I'm glad i saw this post. I bought some pork chops at Kroger's a couple of months ago and threw them on the grill. They didn't cook right and they didn't look right and they tasted awful. When i cut into them, it almost looked like "processed meat". I get all meat at Fresh Market now.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 pm

It all depends on how you plan to cook the protein, and how good a cook you are.

The net effect of injecting a salt-water solution is virtually same as brining it.

I am not strongly opposed to brining a turkey breast, as (if done correctly) this will result in a juicy bird without the necessity of trying to brine a 16-20 pound turkey! For pork, some cuts can benefit from this (if you cook it appropriately), while others will be ruined. In general, I'd rather buy chicken breasts at Fresh Market, Whole Foods, et al than Kroger injected, although again it depends on the specifics of the recipe. For beef, I would NEVER purchase injected meat as you normally would want aged meat, in which the beef actually dries out prior to cooking!

For Kroger, they obviously will make 15% more money on the proteins that are injected. Also, if asked about it, they can make a case that for the average home cook (who tends to over-cook everything) the injected meats actually make for juicier and more flavorfull dishes.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Butchers best is great for pork and chicken. Similar price to Kroger, significantly higher quality.

I tried Krogers dry aged beef. It was okay.
Previous