Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Stock concentrates

User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Stock concentrates

by Antonia L » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm looking for stock concentrate. In particular, I want fish stock concentrate right now, but I'd use chicken stock and beef stock concentrate in the future. Does anyone know where I could buy it?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Stock concentrates

by Carla G » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't know how much you need but Meijers had fish concentrate about 6 months ago. Haven't needed it lately so I don't know. (Westport Rd. Location)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Minors brand. Lotsa Pasta (and others). Good stuff, a little plastic tub that stays in the freezer. It comes in all manner of flavors, and they're pretty good. They are high in sodium and use a little MSG, if that's an issue, but they're a whale of a lot better than bouillon cubes. The price looks high, but it comes into perspective when you realize that a teaspoon makes a cup and a tablespoon makes a big pot of broth.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:30 pm

I used to buy the paste kind at Creation. Is that the kind you all are talking about? I'm hoping to find the liquid kind of concentrate.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Antonia L wrote:I used to buy the paste kind at Creation. Is that the kind you all are talking about? I'm hoping to find the liquid kind of concentrate.

I guess Minor's is kind of pasty ... it lives in the freezer but stays soft, not hard. I'm not aware of a liquid kind, but I don't know everything. :oops: I like Minor's, though, and usually have a few in the fridge. Won't it work for what you're doing?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:29 pm

What I bought was a liquid in packets.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Antonia,
I buy Minors for larger amounts, but I use More than Gourmet demi- glace stock concentrate for dishes where it really matters. The fish one is particularly good. I believe they have it at Cooking at the Cottage, they may also have in at Lotsa Pasta. Like this:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices-by- ... ncentrates

It's not cheap, but they are excellent!
Deb