Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Coffee making

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Coffee making

by Carla G » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 am

I kind of consider myself a minor coffee snob. I once bought locally roasted coffee but now settle for boutique coffees or coffee from Heine Bros. (is it roasted locally? I don't know but I love it.) I use a French press, one coffee scoop per cup, never allow the water to come to a full boil so as not to allow the oxygen to be lost from the water , and on and on and on with every ritual to make a great cup of coffee. Recently I stayed with my cousin to help with some family matters. I got up early to the smell of fresh coffee and I was treated to a wonderful cup of rich dark brew. I asked how he made it. It was Maxwell House made in a percolator, 2 scoops for 6 cups of water. HOW CAN THAT BE?! I had a second cup just to make sure I wasn't kidding myself. It was excellent coffee. I am flabbergasted.

How do you make a good cup of coffee? What am I missing here?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Coffee making

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 am

Carla G wrote:How do you make a good cup of coffee?

I go up to Heine Bros. and mutter "Cuppa Joe." :lol:
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 am

hahaha. we had the same maxwell house experience a while ago. tasty.

you might want to check with Heine Bros to see if they will offer this again (this took place in July):

"Seed to Cup: Understanding Coffee"

Join IF University and Heine Brothers’ Coffee for a journey to coffee's origin without leaving Louisville. This interactive class will begin with an overview of the coffee landscape and supply chain that is invisible to most coffee drinkers and enthusiasts. As part of this class, participants will join in a formal coffee cupping led by Heine Brothers' Roast Master, Alec Risch.
What is the best tasting cup? How are beans blended to achieve a distinctive flavor?

After deliberating on the process of making coffee, class participants will engage in a series of cupping and roasting activities to produce an IdeaFestival Blend available at Heine Brothers’ Coffee retail locations throughout Louisville. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to create coffee worthy of the IdeaFestival label.

Facilitators: Mike Mays, Founder of Heine Brothers’ Coffee and founding Member of Cooperative Coffees, will share his stories of 19 years traveling to origin and how the coffee landscape has morphed to where it is today.

Alec Risch, Heine Brothers’ Roast-master, will lead the group in a cupping and coffee discussion to identify the properties most desirable in the IF Blend.

Important Note: Participants are asked to arrive at 9:15 a.m. Each participant will take home a 12.oz bag of coffee they cupped and roasted that day.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:29 am

I did a similar class years ago in Chicago long before Heine Bros opened in Louisville. (I am an old lady.) it's what started me on this journey of enjoying really good coffee. And Heine Bros allows me to continue my moderate fix with their tasty brews. But , for the life of me, I cannot figure out how inexpensive, massed produced coffee (such as Maxwell House) + percolating = great coffee. It flies in the face of everything I have learned. And 2 scoops for 6 cups! How does that even work?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson