Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

New (maybe) chocolate product

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Walgreens has a product line out now called "Good and Delish" it may have been out for a while but I have not been in a Walgreens in a while so...
I tried one of their chocolate bars called Dark and Twisted with lemon and black pepper. It was extremely good. I used to manage some chocolate stores that carried imported chocolates and this was as impressive as any of those. (BTW, I am not a Godiva fan and my chocolate of preference for cooking is Sharffen Berger.(might not have gotten the spelling right there.) )
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: New (maybe) chocolate product

by Joel F » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am

These are listed as made in belgium -- which is home to a dizzying array of traditional and new chocolates.

according to this link, the "Good &Delish" brand is Walgreens/Duane Reed's premium house brand -- so I would expect different purveyors for different products (http://mypbrand.com/2011/05/08/duane-re ... od-delish/)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 am

That was interesting. So, I guess, Duane Reade is a higher end segment of Walgreens? Still would like to know where they source their chocolate from. The bars themselves have no identifying stamps on them so I guess they could be made by some generic Belgian chocolate maker but man, good stuff. It would be interesting to know if the rest of their product line is as good. Out here in the boonies there's no place to find much upscale anything without a 20 minute drive.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 am

Carla, I'm certainly no connoisseur of chocolate but have you tried Aldi's Moser Roth chocolates?

Milk chocolate
Dark chocolate (both 70 & 85% cocoa)
Toffee crunch
Orange almond
Mint chocolate
Chili chocolate

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-items/al ... nnovation/

I think there are four or five individual bars in each packet. I ain't no expert but I have a really hard time walking past the chocolate display right inside the door at Aldi's. "Get thee behind me Satan and push!"
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Lois I have not but if I am near an Aldis I will. (Any chocolate that makes me address Satan has got to be tempting! :twisted: )

But even the closest Aldi to me is a 40 minute drive. That's why I was so excited about this Walgreen's stuff.
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I just tried the dark chocolate with lemon and black pepper and it is wonderful! I also tried the pear and almond and it was not as bright. I bought the giant Smooth & Tempting premium Belgian Toffee & Sea Salt milk chocolate. I will post on it's flavor in it's own thread :D ! Thanks for the tip!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:34 am

As a follow up I tried other products from the Good and Delish line of products and found them lacking. Both the crackers and assorted cookies were down right stale. (Cellophane sealed but stale none the less.) maybe I will just stick with the chocolate.
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 pm

I was going to post under it's own thread, however, since Carla had a similar experience as I did, I will keep this here. The Belgian Toffee and Sea Salt was not what I was expecting. I was "hoping" for a toffee similar but of better quality than a Heath or Skor. The chocolate is very good- the toffee was in very small pieces imbedded in the chocolate. What I came away with is this will be my go to chocolate bar for baking - especially bar or layer desserts utilizing sweetened condensed milk (eagle brand). I plan on using two of the large bars in my magic cookie bars recipe that I use in my cookie exchange boxes. Lora