Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pickled Okra

User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Pickled Okra

by Lois Mauk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:53 am

In a Facebook conversation with Robin, the subject of pickled okra came up. I used to buy okra by the bushel at the Georgia State Farmers Market and make up dozens of jars of this stuff for my ex-husband. These were his absolute favorite snack.

Here's a pretty close approximation of what I used to make every summer:

Makes three pints:

1-1/2 to 2 pounds small, tender okra pods
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3 hot peppers, whole
3 tsp. canning salt
3 tsp. dill seed
3 tbsp. mixed pickling spices
3/4 tsp. whole peppercorns
1-1/2 cups white vinegar
1-1/2 cups water

Sterilize three pint jars and two-piece canning lids. Wash the okra in cold water. Trim the cut ends only if necessary. Peel the garlic cloves, but leave it whole.

To each sterile jar add 1 teaspoon of canning salt, 1 whole garlic clove, 1 teaspoon of dill seed, 1 tablespoon of mixed pickling spices, one hot pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of whole peppercorns.

Into sterile pint jars, pack as many pods of okra as possible with the tips pointing up. Finish packing the jars as fully as possible with additional okra, tips down, fitting the pods in tightly but taking care not to crush the okra.

Bring the vinegar and water to a boil. Fill jars with the vinegar and water mixture to within 1/4 inch of the rim. Place the lids and rings on the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove the jars from the canner and allow them to cool completely. Let the pickles sit for at least 2 weeks (longer if you can stand the wait) to achieve the best flavor.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pickled Okra

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks, Lois! We don't have canning gear ... it's not something we've gotten into, but maybe I should. This looks awesome! :mrgreen:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Robin,
You really need very little gear for canning. For years I did my small batches of tomatoes /jam with my existing big stockpot, a cotton towel for the bottom, and a pair of kitchen tongs. A set of mason jars and lids were the only purchase. This year I broke down and bought a canning pot ( $34 ) and a set of accessories ($10) which are handy, but not necessary.
I highly recommend Meijer for canning supplies- great selection and prices.
Deb
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 pm

For these pickles, you just need a really deep pot to make a boiling water bath to seal the jar. The brine does the preservation. Canning jars, two-piece canning lids, deep pot and tongs for removing the jars from the boiling water bath is all the "equipment" you're going to need.

Speaking of canning, the RURAL KING store in Jeffersonville and Shelbyville have an awesome selection of canning and food preservation supplies and equipment.

http://search.ruralking.com/search?view=grid&w=canning

2960 E. 10th Street, Jeffersonville
and
181 Boone Station in Shelbyville
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org