Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Induction Cooktops

no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Induction Cooktops

by JenS » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Does anyone have experience with induction cooktops? We have a gas cooktop on our center island and we do not have stools at the island because I am afraid of little hands being burned. Someone suggested that I look into induction cooktops. After researching a lot, I'm kind of intrigued. I'm also afraid that they are a trend that will look or be outdated in the near future although they have been popular in Europe for years.

I would appreciate any kind of (helpful) feedback.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Induction Cooktops

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Jen,
We used to have an induction top at our cooking school. I'd previously only wanted to cook on gas and dubious about induction. Both I and the chefs who came to teach were really pleasantly surprised. It heated up very quickly and was a breeze to clean. The only issues were that you can't use all pans and the risk of cracking the top with a heavy pan. Ours was an Electrolux from Trend.

As a parent though, I'm not sure that it's much safer than gas. Little hand would still reach it and somehow it seems more touchable /inviting to me. Though ours did cool very quickly if that's the concern.
Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I really don't enjoy cooking on induction. Yes, it heats up quickly, but I have a really hard time controlling temperature and making small adjustments. Plus, as Deb noted, you can't use cookware like cast iron because it's too heavy and can scratch the surface.

It's certainly better than old-school electric coils, but inferior to gas, IMHO.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Just an idea, if you wanted to try an induction burner for yourself you can find single portable units for less than 100 bucks sometimes a lot less. A while back we were at Tuesday Morning on the Outer Loop and my Chef son spotted one on clearance we paid 20 bucks. He likes it, they used them a lot in school I haven't used it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Brad,

Maybe it's a brand or specialized technology thing unique to them, but our Electrolux top gave control very similiar to gas ( I love gas and paid alot to have it added to my home). I was amazed at how quickly heated up and down. We had some of the best chefs in town cooking on it ( literally) and several commented that they really liked it.

Deb
no avatar
User

JenS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm

by JenS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have a couple of Le Creuset dutch ovens that I use all of the time- would those be too heavy for an induction cooktop?
no avatar
User

Michael Mattingly

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

Paris, France

by Michael Mattingly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 am

Deb Hall wrote:As a parent though, I'm not sure that it's much safer than gas. Little hand would still reach it and somehow it seems more touchable /inviting to me. Though ours did cool very quickly if that's the concern.

The primary differences when it comes to safety for children is the lack of an open flame (this likely decreases the chances of your kid catching something on fire), the fact that the surface heat is equal to that of the cookware (there's typically a difference in temperature with open flame) & that they typically shut down if a pot isn't present (perfect for absent-minded parents & children that can reach the controls). I suspect that they're demonstrably safer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking#Benefits
no avatar
User

Michael Mattingly

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

Paris, France

by Michael Mattingly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:50 am

JenS wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. I have a couple of Le Creuset dutch ovens that I use all of the time- would those be too heavy for an induction cooktop?

Weight is less of a concern than size. Some manufacturers have size limitations. I have an 8 qt. dutch oven that works fine. You just need to be careful about the types of cookware you use & you don't want to bang or slide things around.