Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Good Ready Made Pie Crust

no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Good Ready Made Pie Crust

by Eliza W » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 pm

I usually make my own - 1/2 butter and 1/2 non-transfat shortening - but I've got to make a whole bunch of pies for this weekend, and with lots of little people underfood, this is difficult.

I've tried supermarket pie crusts before, and they're enough to turn me off pies forever. Are there good brands? I'm thinking maybe Doll's or Whole Foods might have something decent. Any suggestions?
no avatar
User

Kimberly W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 pm

by Kimberly W » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm

Whole Foods has pie shells that are basically homemade crust already made up (No preservatives, weird chemicals, etc.) They are nice and buttery and cook up very well.

Good luck!
Kim
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Eliza,

Pillsbury Pie Crust (refrigerated in the red box). Although I'm an ardent cook & baker, I've used it for 10+ years for any recipe calling for a "regular" pie crust. Really great taste and flake.

I've had many requests after holiday dinners for my pie crust recipe, and I give them all an recipe card that says: "Buy one Pillsbury pie crust, Bake, Enjoy!".

Happy Thanksgiving!
Deb
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:21 pm

I would have to agree with Deb, Pillsbury is great.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:16 pm

Pilsbury might taste good, but they are made with partially hydrogenated lard. Considering this ingredient, and my recent ban on purchasing foods with hydrogenated oils and/or high fructose corn syrup, I bought the frozen pie crusts at whole foods ($3.29 for two). Even though I can make a great home made crust (which uses plain old non-hydrogenated lard and butter), I must say that I enjoyed the convenience of this crust. I thought it tasted great and so did the family. Much easier tan making my own, and healthier as well.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 am

I used the crusts made by Whole Foods. It was good, very much like a homemade crust. I still like my own best, but it was a handy and quick substitute. Thanks.