Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Rabbit Recipes

no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Rabbit Recipes

by Gretchen D. » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:19 pm

I am looking for rabbit recipes. I prefer to grill it, but I am willing to try anything. I don't want to disguise the flavor too much and would like something that will be tender. Thanks!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:20 am

Ummm, grilled rabbit! Tasty!

I've been craving Hassenpfeffer lately, but I know my husband would never eat it. I used to make it when I was a kid and we raised rabbits in the back yard.

The following sounds very similar to what I remember making years ago:

Hassenpfeffer

Ingredients:

1 large or 2 small rabbit[s]
1/2 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup dry red wine
2 cup onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon pickling spice
8 nails of clove
3 bay leaves
------------------------
1 cup flour, for dredging
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoon flour
1 cup sour cream

Instructions:
Skin, clean and cut the rabbit[s] into pieces. Marinade 1-2 days in the next 10 ingredients. Remove the rabbit, drain, dry, dredge in flour and brown in butter in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Strain the marinade and add to the rabbit, cover and simmer 1 hr. Arrange the rabbit on a warm platter and set aside. Add the sugar to the broth. Blend 3 Tbl flour with a little water and add to the broth. Just before serving stir in the sour cream. Pour over the rabbit and serve with noodles.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:43 am

Thanks for bringing back memories of my mom- once a year she would make hassenpfeffer with a wilted spinach salad.

Does rabbit grill well? It is so lean that I thought most recipes were braises or quick sautees. The idea of grilled rabbit sounds delicious though. Maybe wrapped with some bacon or caul to keep it moist.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:24 am

I always braise rabbit, but it can be cut-up and fried like a chicken.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I always braise rabbit, but it can be cut-up and fried like a chicken.

There are almost two separate rabbit breeds. Domestic and wild. My dad raised rabbits for a number of years in cages. They could be cooked like chicken and I think they are much better than chicken. He even sold some to restaurants. Course you couldn't do that now because they were killed and cleaned in a garage.

I don't hunt but have had a few wild rabbits. Believe you would have to braise because much to tough to fry. They get a lot of exercise and the cage raised ones don't.

Have bought a couple of frozen in a meat store. Australian, I believe, but they were more like wild ones. Fairly gamy, unlike the domestics.

Check with Kingsley Meats. I am sure they can advise you how to cook. I think they carry Duncan rabbits. Duncan farms also sells at Bardstown Rd farmer's market.
no avatar
User

Marsha White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 04, 2007 1:01 am

Louisville, KY

by Marsha White » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I just cooked some rabbit for my dad's supper today. I'd bought 2 1/2 lbs of frozen rabbit pieces from the Duncans at the Farmer's Market on Bardstown Road about two weeks ago. I'd never cooked rabbit before, so I called my aunt, the family cooking expert. Here's what she had me do:

(1) Dredge the rabbit pieces in your favorite mix of flour, salt, and pepper. (I used that, plus a generous helping of Essence of Emeril, since that's a favorite at Daddy's house)

(2) Lightly brown the pieces in a frying pan on medium heat. Don't use a lot of oil, 'cause you're gently browning, not frying. (I used my spray bottle of olive oil to coat the frying pan).

(3) When the rabbit is brown, drain off any oil, then add some water to the pan (I used maybe 1/3 cup). Lid the pan and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 45 min to an hour. This will steam-cook the rabbit the rest of the way through, so you won't have to worry about it being tough.

I followed her directions (with mild modifications as noted above), and the rabbit came out of the oven flavorful and fork-tender. Daddy proclaimed it excellent and was chowing down with glee as I left the house.

Hope that helps. Oh, and the web site for Duncan's Rabbit & Poultry Farm is here:

http://www.kyagr.com/Main.aspx?procedure=show_page(8906)