Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Don't try this at home!

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Don't try this at home!

by Deb Hall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Friends-
I'm sharing this story so you can learn from my STUPID mistake.

Last night, I chopped habaneros without gloves- stupid Deb trick!! Several hours later, I developed a mild burning in my fingers. Later I took a hot bath to reduce the stinging in my hands- big mistake. It made it MUCH worse. "Neosporin with pain" medication made it even worse. In tears, I'm combing the internet for a solution. Brian ended up having to pack latex gloves with plain yogurt and I slept in them - only way I could get any relief! ( Ambien and bourbon helped ;-)

Won't forget gloves ever again!
Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Don't try this at home!

by Ken B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:28 pm

I believe noxema will help.

Capsacin is oil based, and heat amplifies it's effects. Haven't tried it but mechanics goo might help to get it off your hands next time (it rinses clean in cold water, even with greasy stuff), though I'd be certain to get the kind without the mild abrasives that are in many brands. And although it can be mildly abrasive, I'd also consider baking soda, or making a paste of baking soda.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I once played with habaneros bare-handed, Deb, and then rubbed my eyes. :shock:

Shortly thereafter I had my head in the sink, running cool water down over my eyeballs and yelling "CALL 911!!!!" Fortunately, Mary didn't do that, and after a few minutes it got better. I never repeated that particular mistake, though.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm

According to my web-search, limes are highly recommended by chefs in Mexican restaurants and several people said they worked. I tried but in my case it only provided momentary relief. Not sure why that would work but many people were swearing by it...Other recommendations were bases: milk, sour cream, yogurt, and alcohols:rubbing and vodka . It hurt too much at that point to risk burning more with alcohol... :shock:

Glad your eye stopped quickly Robin! In my case it was pain for hours - and not sure when it actually subsided totally due to the Ambien. All better today though!

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Also...don't go to the bathroom after chopping serrano peppers sans gloves unless you scrub your hands FIRST.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Also wash those surfaces with milk or something to remove the oil. I'll never forget the morning I had fiery cereal courtesy of my dad chopping hot peppers and putting them in my cereal bowl. Everything had been put in the dishwasher afterwards but that apparently wasn't enough!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

I used to work at a local fruit stand/deli with a young guy who was scooping chopped habanero peppers out of the Robot Coupe for a huge vat of fresh salsa, barehanded. We warned him repeatedly to put gloves on. He didn't listen. Moments later, he went to use the restroom, and (I'm assuming) neglected to wash his hands first. We heard him yelling all the way in the front of the store. :lol:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"