Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Gnocchi

User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Gnocchi

by DeeDee D » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I bought some pre made Gnocchi today, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:23 pm

Eat them!

No, really... I've always prepared them pretty much how I would prepare pasta. They are great with tomato sauces, alfredo sauces, or any other pasta sauce. My favorite ever had a walnut cream sauce over them. Enjoy!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:00 am

Don't boil them hard like regular pasta though, they are delicate and disinegrate easily. I know fron sad experience.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Gnocchi w/ Black Truffle Butter

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:44 pm

DeeDee,

Are they dried gnocchi or fresh pasta ? (Latter probably frozen- don't know any place in town where you can buy fresh gnocchi.)

My suggestion for the latter is to gently boil them, then drain. Then pan saute' them in a little bit of black truffle butter (I use D'artagnan, but Dallas McGarity also recommended I try Rolands Black Truffle paste which I believe you can get at Lotsa Pasta). You want to get them slightly brown and crunchy on the outside, with delicate pasta inside. These are OMG good!

DEb
no avatar
User

Brian Jennings

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:32 am

Bowling Green

Gnocchi

by Brian Jennings » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Mmmm That walnut sauce sounds good- I believe it's Salsiccia di Noci...
Roast the walnuts at 350 degrees till lightly browned- you will smell the rich aroma of the roasted nuts- rub them gently between your fingers while still warm to remove most of the bitter skins- chop nuts coarsely and sprinkle them into your favorite cream sauce with a touch of garlic, nutmeg, and your cooked gnocchi- good eating! Oh- and if you can ever try to make your own gnocchi do so they're worth the effort.
"To invite any one, implies that we charge ourselves with his happiness all the time that he is under our roof" Brillat-Savarin
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:26 pm

Gnocchi are very good and filling. A little goes a long way, especially if you use a rich sauce. I like them as a side dish. I will serve them in a blue cheese and toasted hazelnut sauce or tossed simply in butter and then topped with a generous amount of fresh grated parmigianno reggiano and coarsely ground black pepper.

Make sure to cook them in well-salted water, as they can be very starchy and bland.