Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

vern cline

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 am

Reminder: Check your meat thermometer

by vern cline » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 pm

Almost burnt the open range chicken on the grill tonght. Actually some was. Wife suggesed I check thermometer, in boiling it was 20 degrees off. It was still very good with boiled potatoes from the farmers market and lettuce/greens from the backyard garden. Going to buy a new one.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

mine too

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 pm

I just discovered my thermometer is also 20 degrees off. Must be a thermo-virus! Anyone have any recommendations for an instant-read thermometer??
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: mine too

by Ethan Ray » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:14 am

Lisa Stephenson wrote:I just discovered my thermometer is also 20 degrees off. Must be a thermo-virus! Anyone have any recommendations for an instant-read thermometer??

goto Dine Company on preston and buy a restaurant grade thermometer that you can calibrate.

put it in ice water and calibrate to 32 degrees whenever it seems off.

looks like this:

shouldn't cost you more than $10, and it's really all you'd ever need for temping (unless you're doing confection work).
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.