Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Oysters? Shucks....

no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Louisville

Oysters? Shucks....

by Aaron W » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello Forum!

I am going to be working a raw bar later this month and I need a few tips and equipment suggestions. I have figured out that I will need a oyster knife (or two) and one of those nifty gloves so I can keep my hand intact. I'll be able to get on the job training but I like to do some homework and prepare for a role that will basically be 80 hours of my week.

I have already bought a Messermeister Oyster knife but I have yet to buy a glove. Do I need more than one kind of oyster knife for the many variations of oysters out there? Best glove for the buy (while still looking cool of course... it's an open kitchen 8) ) ? I like the look of those chain-mail gloves but is $150 a reasonable amount to spend on a glove...? So many burning questions.

-AaronW
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Oysters? Shucks....

by Deb Hall » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 am

Aaron,

Welcome!
Can't help on the equipment, but one suggestion: Also post this on the main Restaurants Forum with a title of " Oyster Equipment Recommendations? " or such... Most of the professional chefs troll that Forum more than they do this one; I'd think you are more likely to get a response there.

Good luck in your new position!
Deb
no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Louisville

Re: Oysters? Shucks....

by Aaron W » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks! Took your advice. Stand by for results....