Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fast Knife Sharpening

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Fast Knife Sharpening

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 pm

All,

I desparately need to get several knives sharpened. I want to use a local and called Heimerdinger, but they are quoting "1 week standard, possibly quicker" to get them back. That's really tough to pull off when you cook alot. :wink: Anybody have another great option?

Thanks,
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Fast Knife Sharpening

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I desparately need to get several knives sharpened. I want to use a local and called Heimerdinger, but they are quoting "1 week standard, possibly quicker" to get them back. That's really tough to pull off when you cook alot. :wink: Anybody have another great option?

No way meant to be snarky, Deb, but drive over to Dine Company and buy a stone and a steel? If you're doing a relatively small number of knives, DIY might do ya.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Seriously ? I thought everyone knew how to sharpen knives. Must be serrated or something.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks, guys. Yes, I know how to sharpen knives but several of my Henckels will no longer get an edge with my sharpener. ( though maybe part of the problem is that I need a new steel)
I think they really need to get professionally done at this point.

Deb
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks, guys. Yes, I know how to sharpen knives but several of my Henckels will no longer get an edge with my sharpener. ( though maybe part of the problem is that I need a new steel)
I think they really need to get professionally done at this point.

Deb

Kewl...I can abide. Ya know Steve Shade does some professional grade knife sharpening. Ya might drop him a P.M.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Deb,

When I took mine to Heimerdingers, I did two batches ... took most of them at one time, but held back a couple to use and then dropped those off when I picked up the first batch. It helped that I bought a new knife while I was in there dropping off the first batch :D

-Pete
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Pete O wrote:Deb,

When I took mine to Heimerdingers, I did two batches ... took most of them at one time, but held back a couple to use and then dropped those off when I picked up the first batch. It helped that I bought a new knife while I was in there dropping off the first batch :D

-Pete

Thanks, Pete. I thought of that ( and may still do it) but the thought of trying to make three trips out to their place made me pause. With my schedule, it might be a month before I arranged to get them all back. Feels a bit frightening.... :roll: :lol:

Deb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Deb- here's a thought. Ask your favorite local restaurant who does their knives- I know a gentleman drops by once a week where I work. Ask the owner if you can bring in your knives and do the two batch trick. I shouldn't think it would be a problem and the knife man will make some extra $$$
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:55 am

I bought one of those electric knife sharpening machines (Chef's Choice?) and I'm very pleased with it so far. You can choose between two different degrees of sharpness on mine. My understanding is that the sharper the knife the more brittle they are so I've sharpened my knives according to their purpose. Both angels are very sharp so true to my nature I'm sure I've over thought the whole thing.

They are a little pricey, but it should last forever and seems like a good way to go if you don't have the time to make a hobby out of the process or don't want to be without your knives for a week while a pro works on them.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Deb -

Kroger used to do it for free "while you shop." You might want to ask the butcher in your local Krogers if they still do it - it was even free as a customer service! (If they do it, I'd only take in a few knives at a time - you can then judge the quality and not get them pissed off by having 20 knives to do!)
Andrew Mellman
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm

My son learned in Boy Scouts how to sharpen knives using a wet stone...did not know how handy that skill would be in Culinary school one day he sharpened knives for for the whole class.
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi, Andrew. Please think 3 TIMES before you take a decent knife to Kroger. I made that mistake a few years back with a medium priced Cuisinart chef's knife. Some kid dressed in a butcher's jacket took it out back and put my knife on a industrial grinding wheel. Needless to say, the knife was immediately destroyed. Since I figured that the service was free and I handed the blade over to a kid in a super market, I had no beef with the store. Free ain't always free...
Is that a raw fish in your pocket or are you just glad sashimi?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 am

Mark H. wrote:Hi, Andrew. Please think 3 TIMES before you take a decent knife to Kroger. I made that mistake a few years back with a medium priced Cuisinart chef's knife. Some kid dressed in a butcher's jacket took it out back and put my knife on a industrial grinding wheel. Needless to say, the knife was immediately destroyed. Since I figured that the service was free and I handed the blade over to a kid in a super market, I had no beef with the store. Free ain't always free...

You are totally right - another reason for only taking in one-two knives to test them out. Back in the day Winn Dixie (which had REAL butchers behind the counter) did great jobs, but I've ranted before about what I think of Kroger meat so I take your comments to heart.
Andrew Mellman
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the warning, Mark. After that story, I'm not willing to risk even one $75 knife on "free" :roll: sharpening.

Deb