Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Smoked Ham Hock?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Smoked Ham Hock?

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:00 pm

All,

I'm planning on making a very simple Italian chickpea soup recipe that sounds yummy:
http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detai ... Entry=true

Due to it's simplicity, the quality of the smoked ham hock is going to be key for the flavor. Anybody have a suggestion on where to source a really high-quality smoked ham hock? Do any of the fantastic smoked bacon supppliers ( Fiedlers, Fathers, etc) do a smoked hock?

Thanks!
Deb
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Smoked Ham Hock?

by Chris LM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Deb,
Obviously a ham hock from Father's or one of the other premier ham companies will be better than the generic kind you find in the Kroger meat case, but I am not sure how available premium ham hocks are. The Highlands Kroger seems to have about the best country ham/bacon/seasoning meat selection of anywhere around, I would give them a try. If that fails, I would buy the basic kind from the Kroger meat case & then preboil it for a couple of minutes to remove some of the intensity caused by the typical over-smoking treatment these end up getting.

Good luck.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Deb, I'd call Burger's Market or Frank's Meats on Preston for two. Let me know what happens.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:15 pm

There ain't nuthin' wrong with Krogers smoked Ham Hocks...The get 'em from Cumberland. Then again, if you like running all over town. :?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Steve P wrote:There ain't nuthin' wrong with Krogers smoked Ham Hocks...The get 'em from Cumberland. Then again, if you like running all over town. :?

But if you go to Franks you can pick up a Bologna on white with mayo :)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Steve P wrote:There ain't nuthin' wrong with Krogers smoked Ham Hocks...The get 'em from Cumberland. Then again, if you like running all over town. :?

Steve,
Okay- I'm confused . The man who has the expertise in smoking is telling me that commercial, cheap smoked meats are the same as something carefully, very slowly smoked by someone whose art is small-batch smoking. Not at all the answer I expected from you :mrgreen: :wink: .

Are you messing with this city girl? :D

Deb
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Steve P wrote:Are you messing with this city girl? :D

Deb

My humble opinion is that you could make this recipe using two different brands of smoked ham hocks and it would take a very-very sophisticated palette to tell the difference.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks, Steve. I would have assumed exactly the opposite- that super cheap cuts smoked quickly/ incorrectly would have most potential for a "fake smoked"/overly smoked taste.

Deb
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Finchville Farms has a great ham hock. Country ham. Should be able to get it wherever you would get their ham.
Nancy Inman
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 pm

I was just in Kingsley's a week or so ago, and they had some very nice looking smoked ham hocks.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

BevP wrote:

Bev,

I'll bring a couple pieces of bread from home, we can meet at Franks and both of us have a BIG sandwich from the way he makes those things. When I ran Nuts N Stuff on Preston I would sometimes go down there and get a sandwich and have lunch for two days.

For those of you who have never gotten lunch at Franks, You Have Missed A Great Lunch.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

RichardM wrote:
BevP wrote:

Bev,

I'll bring a couple pieces of bread from home, we can meet at Franks and both of us have a BIG sandwich from the way he makes those things. When I ran Nuts N Stuff on Preston I would sometimes go down there and get a sandwich and have lunch for two days.

For those of you who have never gotten lunch at Franks, You Have Missed A Great Lunch.

Richard

Richard ,
I always make 2 sandwiches out of one from what I get at Franks...no better bargain in town.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:56 am

i always have ham hocks because i use them in greens and green beans. Meijer carries the Finchville brand of ham and ham hocks.

as a side note..... when they were out of ham hocks, i picked up ham shanks. very different to use... but we liked it a lot. much, much, much less fat and a whole lot more meat. it didnt have the slick feeling that the hock gave it, but it was still just enough fat.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 am

Becky M wrote:i always have ham hocks because i use them in greens and green beans. Meijer carries the Finchville brand of ham and ham hocks.

as a side note..... when they were out of ham hocks, i picked up ham shanks. very different to use... but we liked it a lot. much, much, much less fat and a whole lot more meat. it didnt have the slick feeling that the hock gave it, but it was still just enough fat.

Finchville's are good and local!