Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

Looking for large batch of local honey

by Madi D » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi there!
I'm hosting a bridal shower in March and as the party favor I want to give little pots of local honey with a custom label (Bee mine, Meant to Bee, you get the point.) I would like to purchase a larger batch rather than a bunch of small honeybears. I need enough for about fifty 4 oz jars. Any leads?
Thanks!
Madi
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Looking for large batch of local honey

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 am

Madi,

What a sweet idea! :wink: :lol:
Check out the Farmer's Markets websites for the Bardstown and Beargrass markets. Both should have vendor lists and names/ contact info for the farmers selling local honey.
I'm sure they'll be happy to help you with a large batch.

Deb
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 am

Madi D wrote:Hi there!
I'm hosting a bridal shower in March and as the party favor I want to give little pots of local honey with a custom label (Bee mine, Meant to Bee, you get the point.) I would like to purchase a larger batch rather than a bunch of small honeybears. I need enough for about fifty 4 oz jars. Any leads?
Thanks!
Madi

Who's getting married, Madi?!

If you don't get any other leads, you could try calling BBC or Cumberland to see where they source it for their mead. Or maybe contact the Kentuckiana Beekeepers Society?

http://www.kyanabees.com/

*Edit:

Hey - I just read on their site: $7.00 for a pint, $78 for a 12 jar case. That might be perfect!
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 am

Here's another option located in beautiful Depauw, IN.

http://stores.hillviewfarmonline.com/StoreFront.bok

They have 12 lb bulk for $32 per the site.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Madi D » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Bill P wrote:Here's another option located in beautiful Depauw, IN.

http://stores.hillviewfarmonline.com/StoreFront.bok

They have 12 lb bulk for $32 per the site.

This looks perfect! Thanks!

@Jax: My friend Ali is the one getting hitched. But did you hear about Prick and Kate? They're engaged! Who woulda thunk it.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

No - I hadn't heard that yet! So Sweet - it was inevitable. Cutest couple of this decade (you and Newman won the award for the last decade, of course ;-)).

Just fyi, I did the math the other day (I've been sick all week with nothing but time on my hands) when I saw the link Bill provided. It sounds like a great way to go, but it looks like 12 pounds of honey, because of it's density, only equals one gallon, which is 8 pints (and usually a pint equals a pound of water [I think?]). It still sounds like the cheapest way to go, just wanted to warn you about the quantity in case you already have little containers that advertise holding a 4oz weight of water. Have fun organizing!
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Madi D wrote:But did you hear about Prick and Kate? They're engaged! Who woulda thunk it.

Cool nickname. :wink:
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Madi D » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Bill P wrote:
Madi D wrote:But did you hear about Prick and Kate? They're engaged! Who woulda thunk it.

Cool nickname. :wink:

Haha! A nickname well earned. I doubt he will use that moniker on their wedding invitations, but for those who know him nothing else would suffice.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Madi,

If you are wanting to LOCAL source it, you could call Paul at NUTS N STUFF. I know he gets local honey in all the time and I am sure he can get you a bulk tub of it.

Just saying,

Richard

oh yeah...

http://www.nutsnstuff.com
nutsnstuff@att.net
452-6566
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I got some really good honey from a guy at the Norton Commons farmers market. It is from Harry C. Jones in Crestwood. 502-241-9120. I'm pretty sure he was selling it in gallons, but I don't recall the price. I got a 48oz container and I think it was $9 or $11?