Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

beignets

no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

beignets

by Madeline M » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Seeing that a group will be going to Selena's has me drooling for some beignets! We still haven't found a place up here that makes them even though there are several Cajun themed places that do brunch. So I found this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html) and was wondering if I could do the dough ahead of time, like Friday or Saturday and then bring to temp on Sunday and let it rise?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: beignets

by JustinHammond » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Madeline M wrote:Seeing that a group will be going to Selena's has me drooling for some beignets! We still haven't found a place up here that makes them even though there are several Cajun themed places that do brunch.

I believe Selena's , Cafe Beignet, and J Gumbo's all make beignets.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Madeline M » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm in Detroit now.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am

Madeline,

I haven't done it with this dough, but I've successfully done this with other sweet doughs. I think you could do it Saturday night; I'd think Friday would be too risky. When I prepare dough ahead, I store it in a large ziplock with most of the air removed- this limits the dough from severe over-rising. It will take awhile for the dough to come back to room temp- i put it in a warm part of my kitchen covered lightly with cling wrap or a floured towel.

Happy New Year !
Deb
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Madeline M » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Deb! I ended up with a bad case of insomnia so made the dough at 6am, fried it at 9am and had a ton of dough left over. Put some in the freezer and some in the fridge. The fridge and pull out for an hour seemed to work fine when we made some later for company. Even have a batch ready for breakfast in the morning! Used a confectioners sugar and cinnamon mixture on them...pretty good!