Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Duck Confit?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Duck Confit?

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:52 am

Anybody know of a local source? I'm in the mood to make cassoulet next week ( my Rancho Gordo cannelini beans will take this over the top) :D

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Duck Confit?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Anybody know of a local source? I'm in the mood to make cassoulet next week ( my Rancho Gordo cannelini beans will take this over the top) :D

I'd check Whole Foods, Deb. They definitely used to have it. Also, possibly Burger's?
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:47 pm

If you have the tax ID number and resellers what not, you can get it at Restaurant Depot. Admittedly not so much local, but I guess about as much as Whole Foods is.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks, Robin. I may need to reevaluate the cassoulet idea- I checked Whole foods on-line and they have it : for $24.99 a lb! ( I need 2 lbs!).

John,
Restaurant Depot might work - maybe I can get someone to order for me - I don't think using the old store info would work anymore... :wink:

Thanks, Guys!
Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey Deb, Im running errands on Monday...I could swing by and see if they have it in stock..if they do I could pick you up some. PM me if interested.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Make your own and you will save a few bucks. Time consuming but in the end you get a better confit IMO. I keep a large pot of duck fat in my garage fridge to make confit when needed. After you make it - it should sit in the fat for a week or so to gather richness and flavor.

You can also confit country pork ribs and while not duck, it's damn fine in cassoulet.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:31 pm

John Hagan wrote:Hey Deb, Im running errands on Monday...I could swing by and see if they have it in stock..if they do I could pick you up some. PM me if interested.

John,
If they have it in stock, that would be fabulous! I need 6 legs I think- I'll consult my Julia Child cookbook and send you a PM.

You're a doll for offering-
Deb
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:16 am

I'm a bit late to this party but the local WF hasn't carried confit for 4 years (I remember because I planned a Christmas dinner around it only to find out at the last second that they pulled it 2 days previously), but I digress.
Burger's has been my go to place for it since then. If it isn't in stock they can get it in two days, and I believe it is a lot less than $25/lb.
Cassoulet- YUM!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:16 am

Perfect! Haven't been to Burgers in ages- it'll give me a reason to go over there. And it's local :D

John, thanks again for extending your offer. Your random act of kindness really made my day!

Deb