Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

Need help with beef rib roast

by BevP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Ok heres the thing...I am normally a cheap cook for beef roasts I buy chuck or round but my friendly meijer had these ez carve rib roasts for a reasonable price so I bought a 5 lb one for dinner later this week. Now I realized I dont know how to cook it. I would like to serve a potato dish and probably some roasted brussel sprouts with it. I really am afraid I will overcook it, I really don't want to do that.
Thanks
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Need help with beef rib roast

by Gary Guss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 pm

For a small honorarium I'll come over and sample it for you
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 am

Gary Guss wrote:For a small honorarium I'll come over and sample it for you

That is so nice of you to offer with it being the holidays and everything...I think I will just take my chances with my family's palates. :D
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 am

Bev, it's super easy - just rub the outside with salt and pepper (and a little rosemary if you're feeling fancy) and let it sit out for about an hour to come closer to room temp. Put it on a wire trivet or roasting rack (fat side up) in a roasting pan with some liquid underneath. The liquid can be water or chicken broth, and you can put some onions, carrots, celery under the rack if you want to make a sauce out of it later. Roast it at a high temp until you get a nice color on the outside (maybe 10 minutes) and then turn the oven down to 225 and just let her go until internal temperature reaches 140 if you like it rare or 145 if you like it more done. This may take a couple hours. The internal temperature may seem like it's never gonna get there, but be vigilant; at some point it will accelerate how fast its' temp is going up.

When it's done, be sure to let it rest for 10 or 15 minutes in order to let the juices redistribute before you slice it. Done deal.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks Marsha seems well within my skill set....I hope :)
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Update on my rib roast it came out just right. I followed the instructions given by Marsha...Thank You.. Family loved it. I also had never roasted the brussel sprouts and now all of the sudden my whole family loves the brussel sprouts. It was the easiest dinner I have made and the most loved I do believe. :D
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Hooray! Bev, I love folks who can take instruction without needing a "recipe"...obviously you're a cook at heart. Happy Christmas.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist