Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Spice Dating Checker

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Spice Dating Checker

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Robin,
I don't know about you, but I have alot of spices and no idea how old /usable some of them are. Thought these site from McCormick was great consumer marketing and gave an education on using/keeping those expensive special spices.

http://209.196.5.169/

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Spice Dating Checker

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 am

Deb Hall wrote:I have alot of spices and no idea how old /usable some of them are. Thought these site from McCormick was great consumer marketing and gave an education on using/keeping those expensive special spices.

http://209.196.5.169/

Excellent, Deb! And you guessed it ... like just about all "foodies," I buy lots of spices and then throw them in a big drawer and soon lose track of their age.

One thing I've learned - certain spices that are subject to weevils and other nasties after a while are best kept in the freezer. Based on experience, that's where my paprika and curry powder go. :P

It might be interesting to pick one or two of your oldest spice jars, replace them with new, and then taste test the old against the new, side-by-side, to discern just how much difference there really is in color, aroma and taste.

Also, thinking out loud, I assume that many of us wastrels have long since graduated from Spice Islands and McCormick to Penzeys.com or even more obscure sources of authentic product ...
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:40 am

I suspect my mom has some spices lying around to this day that she got when she was newly married....scary thought. They've been married for 35+ years.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

spices

by Heather Y » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:40 pm

speaking of spices..... has anyone checked out the Spice Merchant in Chenoweth square (across from Paul's)?

She has some nice spices, teas, salts, and oils.

If you like Penzy's.... you will like her... and you don't have to pay for shipping!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: spices

by GaryF » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Heather Y wrote:speaking of spices..... has anyone checked out the Spice Merchant in Chenoweth square (across from Paul's)?

She has some nice spices, teas, salts, and oils.

If you like Penzy's.... you will like her... and you don't have to pay for shipping!

They are very nice there, and extremely helpful. The prices are not too bad either.
I still go most often to Creation Garden where you can select from any spice or dried herb in the store for what seems to me to be pennies an ounce.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Heather,

Thanks for the lead on the Spice Merchant: I didn't know they were there. As suggested, I think of Creation Gardens when I need specialty/fresh spices - but sometimes it's hard to get there and I invariably end up there on Monday (when they are closed)....So it's great to have another nearby source.

So who found the oldest spices?

Deb
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:26 am

One "fresh-check" test for spices we espouse at the store is to hold your spice container at your waist. gradually start moving it towards your nose and if your nose is inside the container before you can identify its' contents its time to throw it out and replace it.
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Paul,

Totally off topic: Do you carry dried wild and/ or organic mushrooms? Also, do you have hazelnuts? I know you have great spices, but not sure what else when I get into Holiday cooking....

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Yes Deb, we have hazelnuts along with dried oyster, porcini and shitake mushrooms. I don't know if they are organic so I'd rather say no. Give me a call if you have any other questions.

Paul
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff