Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Lemon Sorbet Recipe

no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Lemon Sorbet Recipe

by Madeline M » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm getting hubby an ice cream maker for Christmas. I got him a book (Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream) on making ice cream but it doesn't have a lemon sorbet recipe in it. I haven't the slightest clue about making ice cream or sorbet or how to figure out if a recipe is going to be good. Anyone have a failproof Lemon Sorbet recipe they can share? Or know of any good ice cream recipe resources?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Re: Lemon Sorbet Recipe

by Robin F. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:24 pm

This is my "go to" recipe:

Limoncello-Mint Sorbet

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup sorbet)
Ingredients
2 cups water
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup limoncello
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 large lemons)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
2 cups blackberries
Lemon slices (optional)
Preparation
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and mint. Cover and chill.
2. Strain juice mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm. Serve with blackberries; garnish with lemon slices, if desired.

I find sorbets set up better with a little liquor. I make a hibiscus sorbet with this basic recipe but steep the leaves in step one, add Grand Marnier (or triple sec) instead of the limoncello. Strain before putting into ice cream maker. Also, somewhere I read they are also better if the recipe calls for sugar instead of corn syrup (which some will do as well).
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Now this recipe will make you sell your children to have another serving (I swear).

Gianduia Gelato Gourmet | August 2009
by Andrea Albin

The satiny hazelnut-flavored chocolate called gianduia—named for the masked character Gianduia of the centuries-old Italian commedia dell'arte—makes for a gelato that is suave and intense.
Yield: Makes about 1 quart
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 4 hr

2 cups hazelnuts (8 ounces), toasted , skins rubbed off, and cooled
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao), finely chopped

Equipment: an ice cream maker

Pulse hazelnuts with sugar and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a heavy medium saucepan with milk and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let steep, covered, 20 minutes.
Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then return to cleaned saucepan.
Put 1/4 cup milk mixture in a small bowl and whisk in cornstarch. Return to saucepan, then boil over medium heat 2 minutes, whisking often (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring until melted and incorporated. Chill, stirring occasionally, until very cold, 3 to 6 hours.
Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.

Cooks' note:
Gelato keeps 1 week.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... z1gFCF3Fiq
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Thank you! Those all sounds really good, especially that hazelnut one...sounds like frozen nutella!