Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Recipe: Hot Brown Quiche

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recipe: Hot Brown Quiche

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:07 am

Here's the Hot Brown Quiche recipe as requested. Note that it makes 2 or 3 quiche depending on the depth of your pie crust. They freeze very well.

Hot Brown Quiche from Gourmet for Everyone

Makes 2-3 Quiches

1 package (8 oz) Nueske’s Applewood Smoked bacon
1 large shallot- minced
¼ very large onion- minced
2 - 9 inch deep dish pie crusts (your favorite recipe or frozen)
24 oz cottage cheese
24 oz Sour cream
6 large eggs
6 T flour
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 ¾ cups of roasted turkey breast; diced
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp white pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp, remove from pan to cool. Remove all bacon grease except 2 T and save for another use. Sauté onion and shallot in the 2T bacon grease until translucent. Let cool. Crumble bacon to yield ½ cup; save remaining bacon for another use.

In a large bowl, blend together cottage cheese and sour cream. Add eggs one at a time, alternating with flour. Fold in sautéed onion & shallot, cheese, turkey, ½ cup bacon, sea salt and white pepper. Pour mixture into pie crusts (about 3 cups filling per crust, depending on the depth of the pie pan. You may have leftover filling: you can bake this crustless in ramekins or make shallower quiches for a total of 3. )

Bake until quiche is lightly browned and center is firm: about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:40 pm

I sure wish we consumed more fat at our house ... that's terrific looking, Deb. I might have to look for some substitutes and give it a try (although I know the flavor loss is disappointing, to say the least !).
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:19 pm

TP,

Thanks.
'I know about the watching the fat part- I'm trying to do the same, which is the only reason I didn't re-test this for home-size portions before posting it.

If you are going to try to make a lighter version, here's what I'd suggest:

*make it crust-less. Just grease and flour the pie pan or dish before putting the batter in- I've done this and it works really well (and takes out a massive amount of calories and fat).

* Substitute the following:
Reduced fat sour cream (not fat-free- it tastes very different)
Egg-beaters instead of eggs

If possible, don't substitute low fat cheese or take out the bacon grease- both will affect the taste substantially.

If you try it, let us know how it comes out.

:D

Deb
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks, Deb - will do.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Thanks!

by Eliza W » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Deb,

Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll home test it in smaller quantities before making the full recipe for our brunch, and I'll post the results.

There are no worries about fat at our house. I'm trying to make enough milk for a chubby little baby, so I eat anything I can get my hands on.

This sounds great.

- Liz
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Liz,

You are welcome! (I hope your chubby little baby enjoys it :wink: ).

Deb
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:46 am

Deb,

I did a trial run, cutting the quantities down by 1/3 for a family dinner. I used a simple crust made of 1/2 butter and 1/2 non-transfat shortening.

The only change was using bacon made by my great-uncle's farm. He smokes with hickory rather than applewood, but it's such extraordinary bacon that I thought the change was warranted.

It got rave reviews from all, so we'll be using the recipe.

Thanks!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 am

Liz,

So glad you liked it and it'll work for your brunch. Your great-uncle's bacon sounds spectacular, and using it for a family event makes it even more special.
:D
Deb