Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Cold weather comfort food!

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Cold weather comfort food!

by Michelle R. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Now that it's actually cool enough to enjoy such dishes, I thought it might be fun to share some amongst ourselves. They don't have to be fancy, just delicious and comforting. Here's a favorite around my house....

French Dip Sandwiches

1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted

1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules

8 to 10 French or Italian rolls, split

SERVINGS 8-10

DIRECTIONS

Place roast in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup, consomme, broth and bouillon; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat and shred with two forks. Serve on rolls. Skim fat from cooking juices and serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 10 servings.

**I put my roast in still frozen, add the ingredients, and cook it overnight, and through the next day, up until dinner time. This recipe literally takes NO time, and is delicious. Also great with some sauteed mushrooms, onions, and swiss cheese melted on top.

ENJOY!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Cold weather comfort food!

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Now that it's actually cool enough to enjoy such dishes, I thought it might be fun to share some amongst ourselves. They don't have to be fancy, just delicious and comforting

Great topic, Michelle! Some of our cool-weather favorites that I'm looking forward to include bread (and pizza!), beans and roasts. Anything that involves using the oven for hours just doesn't seem as appealing until cooler weather is here, even with the air conditioning cranking.