Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Advance Prep Brunch for Post-Christening

by Eliza W » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm having a brunch after my baby's christening for the family (15-20 people).

My idea was to bake some quick breads the night before (seasonal flavors like pumpkin and apple), and set out a yogurt bar (high quality yogurt with granola, dried fruit, toasted nuts, etc. for guests to add). I'll have someone pick up a couple of large Heine Bros. to-go packs on the way home for the coffee.

What I can't figure out is what to serve for a more substantial main dish. Because we'll be coming home from the church, I don't have time to make something right before the brunch. It has to be ready to go when we get home. I was thinking of rising at some ungodly hour and baking a couple of quiches. They're good room temperature with a salad or fruit on the side.

Any ideas or recipes? Thanks.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:19 pm

If you want something hot, what about soup? You could make it the day before and then put it in a crockpot when you rise so everyone could have something hot. And then serve it with a nice mixed salad.

You could also do sandwiches for brunch: blt, chicken salad or deli meats
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Breakfast casseroles work real well. Make them the night before, set them out as you leave for church, bake them off when you return home while everyone is settling in. Enjoy.
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:49 pm

You could always bake a ham, turkey breast or beef tenderloin the day before and serve sliced at room temp with Camelot Buns & condiments. Not hugely imaginative, but there's a reason everyone does it. It's good.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:42 pm

Eliza,

I have a great recipe for an asparagus/applewood smoked bacon strata that we used to sell at the store. It can be fully made the night ahead and then reheated or served at room-temp, or you can bake it off in the morning before yu leave for church. Let me know if you'd like me to post it.

Regarding quiche: in general quiches freeze very well fully cooked and then very well wrapped: all you have to do is thaw over-night in your refrig and then either serve at room temp or gently reheat. I have a recipe for a great Hot Brown Quiche if you are interested.

Deb
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 pm

Deb,

The Hot Brown Quiche sounds fantastic! Please post the recipe. Ymmm.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Leann,

Shall do. It'll probably be over the weekend though, I've got to find it and I'm on deadline tommorrow. :wink:

We sold the Hot Brown quiche cooked and frozen, so I know it freezes really well.

Deb
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Please Post!

by Eliza W » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 am

Deb,

I'd love if you could post both recipes.

The hot brown quiche would be perfect since some family members will be in from out of town - a variation on a local specialty would be good.

That, plus salad and maybe a fall fruit compote with a hint of bourbon might be perfect.

- Lix
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Nueske's Applewood Smoked Bacon

by Deb Hall » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:30 am

I'll find it over the weekend and post.

Meanwhile, if anyone know where you can buy Nueske's Applewood Smoked Bacon in town, that would be really helpful. Both recipes call for it (it's the best bacon I've ever had), but since we closed the store, I don't know where else in town you can get it retail.

Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Fresh Market

by Gayle DeM » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Nueske's Applewood Smoked Bacon is available at Fresh Market.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am

Liz and Leann,
I've posted the Hot Brown Quiche recipe from Gourmet for Everyone under a separate thread on this Forum to make it easier for folks to find.
If you have any questions, just let me know.

Deb