Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

reheating mashed taters in cast iron.....

by Becky M » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:56 pm

my sons class is having their Thanksgiving feast tomorrow and i will be taking mashed potatoes. i make my mashed potatoes pretty rich, with sour cream, cream cheese, butter oh yeah.... and potatoes. i want to make them tonight and then reheat them in the oven tomorrow at noon before i go.

i am wanting to bake them in the oven in a 6 qt enameled cast iron so that i can then just travel with them without transferring to another dish. will they stick to this type of pot? never done it before and dont want to ruin them. but if i do them in that pot i know they will keep the heat for a couple of hours pretty well.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: reheating mashed taters in cast iron.....

by Lois Mauk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Don't know about using a castiron pot; haven't tried it.
But what about using a crockpot? We do it all the time at church dinners.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 pm

didnt think of a crock pot... but i dont think its a good idea for this set up. it is for my sons pre-school classroom and they are young 3-4 yr olds and special needs.... part of me thinks a pot with an extension cord isnt a good idea.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 am

Becky,

They likely will stick to a cast iron pot ( badly).

I'm with Lois- use your big crock pot to reheat them ( or reheat in the microwave in the insert- then put it in the base to finish if you are short of time). That'll do it gently, no sticking. Travel with them to preschool in the crockpot. Then put it out WITHOUT plugging in. The ceramic insert should stay warm for a good while in the base, and the remaining heat from the base will help hold the temp but be safe for little hands.

Enjoy your event!
Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Becky M » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:42 pm

i like to punish myself so i didnt cook them the night before. i did prep them, peeled, cut, then stored them in water overnight. i cooked them up in the morning in a separate bowl, then i transferred them to a warm enameled cast iron after everything was done. i set them in the oven at 225 for a couple of hours while i got everyone ready.

they didnt stick, but i didnt really bake them as i was planning on. but it still worked out really well.

man its been a while since i have had a little one in elementary..... i did enjoy myself a lot. it was a little bittersweet for me as a mom seeing my baby boy in school for the first time and doing great at it too..... he didnt need me! :( :( :(