Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Reheating BBQ

no avatar
User

Troy McIntyre

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Reheating BBQ

by Troy McIntyre » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:53 pm

I am having some friends over in a few weeks and plan on serving BBQ. I will hopefully be able to smoke it myself as I've been messing with recipes all year and can finally make some damn good Q, but with my work schedule this time of year, I may have to buy it from a local restaurant. Either way, I will need to reheat it.

Any ideas on the best way to reheat pork and brisket (oven, crockpot, grill, microwave, other???) Or, does it not reheat well enough and I should look at other options?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Reheating BBQ

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Troy,
Are you talking about wet or dry BBQ? They both reheat, but differently.

Deb
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I require 10 pounds to "test" different methods of reheating, just send it over here and I'll have the results back in a week or so. I would especially like to test some brisket and ribs if possible
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 am

Dude,

NO problem reheating BBQ...Here's the technique I use.

1) Cook BBQ
2) Cool BBQ and lightly sauce (keeps it from drying out)
3) Freeze BBQ in covered container - I use disposable aluminum half-pans
4) Thaw BBQ in fridge - takes a least a day, preferably two.
5) Reheat BBQ s-l-o-w-l-y...I do it in the oven at 200 degrees (5 pounds takes 2.5 hours, stirring twice).
6) I won't be quite as good as it is right off the smoker but if you do it right, it'll be 85-90%. which is still 30% better than most restaurant BBQ is on a GOOD day....Just sayin.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Troy McIntyre

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

by Troy McIntyre » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Deb -It will be dry coming out of the smoker and I will most likely add sauce prior to reheating.

Steve - You mentioned stirring, which indicates you pull the pork into pieces prior to reheating.
Any thoughts on reheating the whole shoulder and brisket without pulling first? I was thinking of not pulling prior to reheating, saucing the outside of the meat and possibly adding a tray of apple cider (which I would refill as needed) to the oven to help keep it moist.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Troy McIntyre wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Deb -It will be dry coming out of the smoker and I will most likely add sauce prior to reheating.

Steve - You mentioned stirring, which indicates you pull the pork into pieces prior to reheating.
Any thoughts on reheating the whole shoulder and brisket without pulling first? I was thinking of not pulling prior to reheating, saucing the outside of the meat and possibly adding a tray of apple cider (which I would refill as needed) to the oven to help keep it moist.

Troy,
I definitely differ to Steve on this one now that he's engaged- he's the expert.
:D
Deb
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 am

Troy, does this mean you wont be supplying any BBQ for testing reheating methods?
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:51 pm

For pork I like to vacuum seal with a little sauce or apple juice. For brisket ill run the Au jus thru a grease separator and pour alittle in the bag before I seal. When you are ready
to reheat drop into some boiling water. That should keep it from drying out.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Andrew A wrote:For pork I like to vacuum seal with a little sauce or apple juice. For brisket ill run the Au jus thru a grease separator and pour alittle in the bag before I seal. When you are ready
to reheat drop into some boiling water. That should keep it from drying out.

Are these "sealer" bags rated for boiling ? I just looked on a box of "Food Saver" bags that were in my pantry and there was nothing mentioned one way or the other. GREAT storage/freezing technique though, can't wait to try it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Amazon.com Review
Designed to be used with all Tilia FoodSaver vacuum-packaging machines, the two rolls of material in this package can be cut and sealed at both ends to create custom-size food-storage bags. Each roll is 11 inches wide and 18 feet long. The material is a three-layer construction--two plastic layers and an outer layer of nylon--that keeps moist foods moist, dry foods dry, and all foods from leaking odor. Bags can go directly into a microwave oven or boiling water to reheat food. They are resealable, reusable, and dishwasher-safe.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Yum... a little DiOctyl Pthalate with your Q
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew A » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Yum... a little DiOctyl Pthalate with your Q

I'm more worried about the side of botulism if you freeze and don't eat it soon. For this reason the food savers are only a 1-2 day solution for me personally. I usually only do this method if I absolutely have to cook my BBQ beforehand for a gathering.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Andrew A wrote:

I'm more worried about the side of botulism if you freeze and don't eat it soon. For this reason the food savers are only a 1-2 day solution for me personally. I usually only do this method if I absolutely have to cook my BBQ beforehand for a gathering.

Not sure I'm understanding what you're saying Andrew. Are you worried about botulism in frozen product or just refrigerated leftovers ? :? ....I've never-ever had a problem with freezing products like this. MOF, I've got a pan of chopped brisket that has been in the freezer for 2 months that I'm planning to use for chili...and I'm not even remotely concerned about "botulism" or other food cooties.
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew A » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Steve P wrote:
Andrew A wrote:

Not sure I'm understanding what you're saying Andrew. Are you worried about botulism in frozen product or just refrigerated leftovers ? :? ....I've never-ever had a problem with freezing products like this. MOF, I've got a pan of chopped brisket that has been in the freezer for 2 months that I'm planning to use for chili...and I'm not even remotely concerned about "botulism" or other food cooties.

I should have clarified my position. I cook the food and quickly freeze after it comes off the cooker. In my experience most BBQ thats being put in food savers are leftovers that have been in the danger zone. I recently took a serve safe course and there are some warnings about the risks involved with vacuum sealing foods. Clostridium botulinum grows in an oxygen free environment. If your food hangs out in the danger zone and then frozen you do run some risks. Its just a risk when vacuum sealing foods. Its rare but I cook enough BBQ that I'd rather start over from scratch.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Fr ... _Botulism/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Andrew A wrote:I should have clarified my position. I cook the food and quickly freeze after it comes off the cooker. In my experience most BBQ thats being put in food savers are leftovers that have been in the danger zone. I recently took a serve safe course and there are some warnings about the risks involved with vacuum sealing foods. Clostridium botulinum grows in an oxygen free environment. If your food hangs out in the danger zone and then frozen you do run some risks. Its just a risk when vacuum sealing foods. Its rare but I cook enough BBQ that I'd rather start over from scratch.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Fr ... _Botulism/

Wow. That's really interesting. The lovely bride and I have both had a bit of food safety training over the years and we both pride ourselves in being VERY safe but this bears further reading. Thanks for sharing.