Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Ken B » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 pm

I have the best friends in the world. Chicago friends delivered some awesome meats from Publican Qulaity Meats in Chicago" saucisson de morteau, cumin-scented lamb/pork sausages, Slagle's hot dogs & a piri-piri pork loin I cut into steaks and grilled. Served with roasted potatoes & peppers, and sauteed kale with garlic.
Attachments
publican.jpg
publican.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 39304 times
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 am

Steve P wrote:Now THAT's what I'm talking about...Italian Beef w/ homemade giardiniere. "Paired" :roll: with a nice Goose Island IPA and The NASCAR Bud Shootout. Can I hear ya say "Hell yeah".

Beef2.jpg

"Hell Yeah" to all of that...well except the bit about NASCAR. Questions, what cut of beef did you use,and how did you make the jardiniere?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 pm

A respite for my guts and arteries from this weekend's three day meatstravaganza: curried ginger and squash soup (4 kinds of orange winter squashes!) with mixed grains, pickled carrots and soy sauce roasted squash seeds.
Attachments
soup.jpg
soup.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 39254 times
The Wine Market
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Szrove Tuesday: Too busy with school and work to make it to St. Matthew's for the youth group's Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, alas, so we made Szrove Saechwan-style green beans and peppers instead. :)

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am

An impromptu lunch on Sat for visitors from Portland and Chicago, who were not eating their normal copious amounts of meat, in observance of Lent: pretzel croissants with poached eggs, watercress, pear, apple, basil dressing and mornay sauce.
Attachments
eggs.jpg
eggs.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 39178 times
The Wine Market
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 am

Ken B wrote:pretzel croissants with poached eggs, watercress, pear, apple, basil dressing and mornay sauce.

What's a pretzel croissant and where can I get one? Also: I'm stealing the rest of your dish, sorry Ken. :twisted:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 am

It's a croissant made from pretzel dough! I get mine from Grey Farms at the Douglass Loop Farmer's Market, but I think they should be available from anyone who sells the pretzel bread you see around town, like at Nuts N Stuff. Coincidentally I was eating at Namnam last night and overheard a conversation where one of the tables behind us was the gentleman who bakes those. Not sure if he has a name for his operation, but I think it is just a wholesale thing.

The rest of the dish was mostly just what I had to use up in the fridge combined with a few things I got at the market that morning. That's always the best stuff, just using up what's at hand.
The Wine Market
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

I haven't taken the time to read through all 10 pages as this question may have already been asked. However, I do lurk on this topic occasionally, so here it goes...

Ken, when are you opening up your own place, so we all can enjoy what comes out of your kitchen? :D
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 am

Harold B wrote:I haven't taken the time to read through all 10 pages as this question may have already been asked. However, I do lurk on this topic occasionally, so here it goes...

Ken, when are you opening up your own place, so we all can enjoy what comes out of your kitchen? :D

Ditto.You read my mind.
:wink: :D

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Marsha L. wrote:What's a pretzel croissant and where can I get one?

We got some at the Douglass Blvd Farmers' Market also, although to be honest, I didn't rate it as big a success as their pretzel bread. The problem to me is that a croissant is one thing, a big soft pretzel is something else entirely, and the unnatural union between them just didn't work for me as a pretzel or a croissant. But Ken's mileage (and that of others) may vary, and that's fine with me. :)
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Klaus makes pretzel croissants (called "cracksants" in our house!), they are sold at NutsnStuff. Get there early they go FAST, especially if Richard is there! :D :D :D :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 pm

"Daytona Dogs"...The Ultimate in Bacon Wrapped Coney Dogs. Washed down with several non-local craft beers.

DaytonaDog1.jpg

DaytonaDog2.jpg
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am

Harold B wrote:Ken, when are you opening up your own place, so we all can enjoy what comes out of your kitchen? :D

No plans on that. I have young kids and like spending time with them. If you feel like traveling to Chicago in a couple weeks, I will be cooking at this event, but you'll have to throw down the big bucks and I'm just a slave, not making anything of my own.

http://events.commonthreads.org/eventDe ... eventId=86
The Wine Market
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Steve P...where are you getting the Chicago Style Relish?
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm

You can order it online directly from Vienna Beef:

http://www.viennabeef.com/store/
The Wine Market
PreviousNext