Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Ken B » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the inspiration COrey. Yours looks more like Banh Mi than mine. SE Asian pizza w/shredded pork, eggplant & Italian fryer peppers. Garnished w/shaved jalapeno, pickled carrots, shaved cucumbers, purple radish and chiffonade of candy mint, Thai basil and cilantro.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 21707 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 21707 times
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Paintsville

by Corey A » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Yours looks great, Ken. Leavened dough is a great medium for so many flavors. I made a countless amount of margherita pies when I was first started learning and practicing my pizza technique. Now, the possibilities are endless! It's developed into a huge passion for me.

A wood fired oven in my backyard is a small dream of mine. I've been trying to replicate the high heat environment through various ways, including a butane torch and cast iron pan/broiler method I learned from Seriouseats.

Cheers, my dough-stretching brother.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Roasted summer garden veggies - sliced eggplant and zucchini, new potatoes, onions and garlic tossed with olive oil, s&p and a little fresh thyme - roasted at 450F for about 30 minutes. The roasting imparts a deep, rich and sweet flavor that turns the vegetables into a meal. (Goes great with Central Otago NZ Pinot Noir.)

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm

When there is frying to be done, Mary usually takes over in the kitchen. Behold! The best fried okra ever. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Sometimes even a dish as delicious as fresh basil pesto starts to seem ho-hum through repetition  that's when I move outside the box: Pesto of asparagus, walnuts and Parmigiano Reggiano with linguine. 

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Corey A wrote:Yours looks great, Ken. Leavened dough is a great medium for so many flavors. I made a countless amount of margherita pies when I was first started learning and practicing my pizza technique. Now, the possibilities are endless! It's developed into a huge passion for me.

A wood fired oven in my backyard is a small dream of mine. I've been trying to replicate the high heat environment through various ways, including a butane torch and cast iron pan/broiler method I learned from Seriouseats.

Cheers, my dough-stretching brother.

Yeah, I think one of the most successful new wave pies I made was andouille with roasted poblanos and green onions. Scallions, mascarpone and seared tuna was a fun one too. In Rome I had an awesome dessert pie that was green apples, honey and Grand Marnier. But most of the time it's a margherita for the kids and whatever I need to clean out of the fridge for me and the wife.

I'm lucky I have a GE signature line electric convection oven that is rated to 500 and with my pizza stone gets close to pulling off real Napoletano DOC style. I've also had success jerry-rigging my cast iron smoker. My understanding is that the drawback of the real brick oven wood fired contraption takes a little while (though probably not longer than any of the ways I use) to get to the 700+ degrees to really make good pizza, then of course also stays hot for a long time afterward. I've read about one restaurant that slow roasts meat overnight in their oven as it cools down, throwing it in at the end of service then having the morning prep crew pull it some 8 hours later.
The Wine Market
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Fresh summer corn and black beans, usually a Southwestern combo, but tonight fashioned with Thai red curry flavors. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Broccoli florets and tofu in a spicy Thai-style coconut red curry sauce. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Sometimes even food writers have to eat ... leftovers! I try to kick them up a notch, though. Here, the remains of Wednesday's black beans and corn, enhanced with a fresh spicy-umami tomato concassé, are served on hot pepper potatoes we brought home from Jasmine Sichuan. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Another leftovers night: Last Sunday's asparagus pesto had lost a little of its pretty green color in a sealed glass container in the fridge, but it still tasted fine, reheated and served over spinach shirataki noodles heated with a quick sauté in unrefined peanut and sesame oil. 

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 am

Too lazy and too late tonight to resize these images for posting here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/
Last edited by Ken B on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wine Market
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Thinking of our friends and all the people in Isaac's wake in New Orleans and Cajun country, we cooked up a batch of garden okra and tomatoes into bowls of gumbo. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Caprese Is a regular entry in the dinner rotation around here during summer, and the heirloom Italian oxheart tomatoes and Genovese basil are at their peak of flavor right now. Add just-made fresh mozzarella from Lotsa Pasta and fruity Sicilian olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground Tellicherry pepper ... and rub the serving plate all over with a smashed garlic clove and some extra olive oil before laying the tomato slices down, and it's over the top. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Caprese again, second day in a row. A different approach, though: Where last night's was composed, neat rounds of oxheart tomato and fresh mozz' with olive oil and neatly cut basil chiffonade, tonight's was all diced ingredients, mixed in a bowl and decorated with tiny basil leaves. The composed version is pretty, but the mixed version deliciously blends the flavors. What's your preference? Or do you make it another way?

User

John Raiona

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Fern Creek

by John Raiona » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Roasted golden beet Napolean with apple/fennel slaw and toasted walnuts
Food is the ultimate passion,. It is necessity and indulgence all in one
PreviousNext