Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 pm

A simple, fresh omelet, fluffy and light, containing no more than fresh free-range eggs, salt, pepper and a splash of water, done quickly at high heat in organic butter scented with a little fresh ginger and garlic. A few scattered pale brown spots might still earn the wrath of a CIA professor, but I'll take the delicious taste of browned butter over an imaginary chef-instructor's rant, thank you. ;)

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Looks tasty . Can I have one with fresh dill?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Carla G wrote:Looks tasty . Can I have one with fresh dill?

Sure, you'll have to bring your own dill, though. Or I could make you a dill pickle omelet, I guess ... :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:49 am

:shock: :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Roasted curried cauliflower, florets cut in thick slices, then tossed with onions, peanut and sesame oil, salt and pepper and Madras curry powder, and convection roasted at 400F for 25 minutes, turning twice.

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Tuscan ham and Bean soup with some of my leftover Nueske's Applewood smooked ham ( god, it's good!)

Starting sourdough starter again. I've been trying to avoid bread baking for awhile ( I make good bread, then I eat it :roll: :) , but the weather and soup seems to demand beautiful crunchy bread.
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Deb Hall wrote: I've been trying o avoid bread baking for awhile ( I make good bread, then I eat it :roll: :)

I am so on the same page, Deb! Why does something as delicious and natural as bread DO that!? It just ain't fair. <sob>
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Tonight I'm making a sirloin of beef with root vegetables. It is damn hard to find kohlrabi in this town.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm

RonnieD wrote:Tonight I'm making a sirloin of beef with root vegetables. It is damn hard to find kohlrabi in this town.

I've seen it at Kroger and at Whole Foods, but possibly only in season. Creation Gardens? Or substitute broccoli stems?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Slivered snow peas and sliced onions scented with ginger and garlic and served over fettuccine in a light Mornay.

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Tonight I'm making a sirloin of beef with root vegetables. It is damn hard to find kohlrabi in this town.

I've seen it at Kroger and at Whole Foods, but possibly only in season. Creation Gardens? Or substitute broccoli stems?

Thanks Robin. We found it at Meier, but I was trying to stay local as all of my other ingredients were purchased from Paul's, Lotsa Pasta, or Kingsley's. And now that Creations Gardens is lost in the mystery that is the south end, I rarely venture out there...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Ronnie-
I will say that as I much as I complained about them closing the downtown retail store, I did finally place an on-line order with them for New Years. While nowhere near the pleasure of browsing thru the store, you can place an order by 11:00 for delivery to either Gyslain or Nanz & Krafts the same day,no delivery fee and there did not appear to be a minimum. They called to let me know one items was out of stock, and offered a substitution or to deliver that $3.00 item solo the following day. I was pretty impressed and will use it again for potentially hard to find items.
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:02 pm

RonnieD wrote:It is damn hard to find kohlrabi in this town.

When it is in season and available from local farmers, Ron at the Root Cellar has kohlrabi. You can't get any more local than that, and since Kohlrabi is a late fall, and sometimes winter crop, you might have some luck. I know I've gotten some there recently (though I don't recall how recently), I believe it was grown on Ivor's Firld Day Farm. Pretty sure Whole Foods has it almost year round, again subject to availability, so in other months it comes from the southern hemisphere, if you choose not to go local. And since Paul's only has a tiny amount of truly local stuff, and Kingsley's and Lotsa very little too, why not give your money who walks the local walk instead of just talking the local talk?
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Ronnie-
I will say that as I much as I complained about them closing the downtown retail store, I did finally place an on-line order with them for New Years. While nowhere near the pleasure of browsing thru the store, you can place an order by 11:00 for delivery to either Gyslain or Nanz & Krafts the same day,no delivery fee and there did not appear to be a minimum. They called to let me know one items was out of stock, and offered a substitution or to deliver that $3.00 item solo the following day. I was pretty impressed and will use it again for potentially hard to find items.
Deb

Well Damn! Just got a note from Creation Gardens that they have ceased delivery for Retail customers- you need to go to their warehouse. There goes that option- permanently! :(
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Well Damn! Just got a note from Creation Gardens that they have ceased delivery for Retail customers- you need to go to their warehouse. There goes that option- permanently! :(

I got that too. I wonder what's up. I guess they weren't doing enough business to make the numbers work?
PreviousNext