Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Homemade Frozen Dinners

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Homemade Frozen Dinners

by Kim H » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:37 pm

Our cafeteria at work has really gone down hill, and we don't go out for lunch a lot, so I'm making my husband and I homemade frozen meals to keep on hand. (yes, we work at the same company) I'm going to get those compartmentalized dish-type storage containers, but I'm a little concerned about freezing/re-heating certain items, particularly pasta and noodles. For example, I made some beef tips in gravy and buttered noodles to serve it over, and want to freeze the leftovers. Does anyone have any experience or ideas of how these would freeze and re-heat? I wasn't going to mix the noodles with the beef, but put it in it's separate container. I could mix them together if it seems like it would yield better results. Just not sure how to manage my new project of creating frozen meals, and was hoping for input. Thanks!
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:58 pm

Depending on how you make your gravy, it'll probably separate when you freeze it. I think you're right on track as far as not freezing the noodles and gravy together because it'll need a good stir before eating.

Are you planning on making these meals way ahead of time? If not, why don't you just refrigerate instead of freezing. I bring my lunch everyday mainly because I'm on a pretty strict nutrition plan right now. At night, I plan what I'm going to bring the next day and put it in my little section plate.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 pm

I don't know from experience, but I wonder if you couldn't package cooked noodles in a vacuum package and reheat them in the package in either hot water or a microwave. Maybe someone has used the process more than I and can give a few pointers.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Kim, I freeze a lot of stuff in freezer bags. They're very convenient, because they will lay practicaly flat no matter what is in them - soup, chicken, pesto, etc. and you can stack them or 'file' them for more room once they're frozen to a certain shape. They're great for portioning out what I am freezing into single servings too. They're also easy to clean (turn inside out to wash and/or dry) so they can be used again.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:26 pm

I have heard it's best to freeze noodles from cold, ie..refrigerate them for an hour or so, then freeze them. And I agree with Beth, a heavy duty plastic bag works really well because it can go straight from the freezer to the microwave. Also, if you're thinking about vacuum sealing them, freeze them first.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 pm

Kim,

I've been freezing for meals for more years than I'd like to count. Noodles should reheat fine; large pasta (like penne) does even better. Beware of freezing anything with potaotoes in it- they breakdown into mush after freezing. Rice dishes will do okay. Anything bean- based (like caseroles, chili) and soups (without potatoes in them) tend to do extremely well. Freeze leftover turkey/chicken etc like your beef tips- with the sauce on it- otherwise they tend to dry-out far too much.

Deb
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 pm

I really apprecite all the replies and suggestions. We ended up eating the beef tips and noodles before they needed to be frozen (they were good!!!), but I think the bag tip, and fridging the noodles ahead of time are great tips. Thanks so much!