Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Juniper Berries

User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Juniper Berries

by Jackie R. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:27 pm

I bought a little baggie of Juniper Berries (from Nuts and stuff - awesome place) and I've been looking online for ideas. Most of what I've found is for roasts and stews, but I'm not really in the mood to make a heavy meal. I did see an interesting recipe for calico carrots which is 1/3 potato, 2/3 carrot, steamed and gently mashed (just enough to combine them and get the "calico" effect), along with sauteed shallots, juniper, thyme, olive oil, etc... Thought that sounded pretty tasty. Anyone else have experience with juniper berries? I also saw a suggestion for steeping them to make tea, so I'll probably give that a try.

The first thing I thought of, though, was a red wine drink that Stephen made me once where he handed me a snifter with a couple of junipers to inhale before sipping the beverage. If I'm remembering that right? It was a few years ago. He said it was a sangria inspired drink. Super interesting.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Juniper Berries

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Here ya go, Food Kid! A savory blueberry sauce I dreamed up for a WineLovers forum challenge years ago. I doubt the old forum links work any more, but the recipe is all there, and it goes great on duck, pork, turkey ...

http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 0713.phtml
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Oooh, thanks Food Dad! Love the idea of putting it on turkey. I've just had so much beef, sausage, and pork lately that I'm starting to feel like a little oinker, and all he recipes online seem to lead to rich or gamey meats. That recipe really does look awesome, I might just make some for Thanksgiving - I think my family is foodie enough to appreciate it.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah... the umami sangria, forgot about that one.

:lol:

I've been thinking about mulled wine this season, maybe we run on that flavor profile...

Thanks!

:wink:
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Gin

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2007 ... t-a-still/

1 750mL bottle 100-proof vodka
1 750mL bottle 80-proof vodka

20 grams dried juniper berries (about ¼ cup)
8 grams whole coriander, crushed (about 2 tbsp.)
2 grams dried orange peel (about 1½ tsp.)
2 grams dried lemon peel (about 1 tsp.)
3 grams whole cinnamon (about 1 stick)
1 whole cardamom pod, crushed
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:17 pm

by JustinHammond . . .
20 grams dried juniper berries

And that is basically why I donn't like gin. I feel about juniper berries the way some people feel about cilantro.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm

I use juniper berries in the brine for my Thanksgiving turkey--very subtle but good with the gaminess of the turkey.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am

I second Carols recommendation for juniper berries in turkey brine. We done it the past couple years and been pretty happy with the results. We have also taken to adding them to our brine(along with a bit fresh rosemary) when we do a pork loin.
Every time I buy some at nuts and stuff the guy asks me if I making gin. Maybe Ill have to give that a shot in the future.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.