Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Thanksgiving Menu Ideas?

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Mark Head wrote:As opposed to traditional mashed potatoes I like to have a mash of about 2/3 potatoes and 1/3 parsnips - also I sometimes add celery root and an maybe an apple. More or less a root veggie mash (not counting the occasional apple). I this it really jazzes up a thanksgiving table and goes well with turkey and turkey gravy.

Brussel sprouts - clean and cut in half - toss in olive oil and season with salt. Through them in a warm skillet and put in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or so until they are browning. Given them a toss and turn about half way through the process. When that are done move to a warm platter and drizzle with good balsamico. They should be soft and nutty - the sweetness of the balsamic offsets the bitterness of the sprouts. Amazing with roasted meats or in a vegetarian meal as they have a meaty quality all their own.

Yum, Mark! Both sound really wonderful! I may need to try your mashed pre-holiday ( we already are doing two mashed....)
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Lauren Bearden wrote:I've already started scouring the foodie blogs for ideas!

I'm making this butternut squash gratin: http://www.simplebites.net/butternut-squash-gratin-recipe-family-favorite-side-dish/

And I think I'm bringing these individual pumpkin cheesecakes as a dessert (minus the Halloween decorating, of course): http://www.yummymummykitchen.com/2011/1 ... cakes.html

Lauren,

Thanks for the reminder- I shamelessly bumped my Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake recipe from previous years to the top. Not very modest of me, but this one is worthy of bragging about! :wink:

Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 am

This about the time of year for Marsha to post the recipe for White Castle slider stuffing.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
Previous