Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fall Soup Recipe?

no avatar
User

KDunn

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

St. Matthews

Fall Soup Recipe?

by KDunn » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:03 am

I am looking for a great recipe for a Fall soup to serve a large group. Open to beans, squash, perhaps bacon or sausage. It should be hearty and filling - to be served in mugs.
Thank you!
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:12 pm

White Bean & Sausage Stew

Ingredients:
2 cups dried white beans (Great Northern or Cannellini)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 lb. cooked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
1/4 cup grated Pamesan cheese
1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley

Soak beans at least 4 hours (or overnight). Drain & set aside.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until softened. Add the garlic and saute for a minute longer. Add the stock, wine, tomatoes, and drained beans. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the beans are tender (about 1.25 hours). Mash some of the beans with a back of a spoon to create a creamy consistency. Add the sausage, return to a simmer and cook until thickened (another 5 mins.) Add the balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Cook for 3 mins. longer (to mellow the vinegar).

Preheat the broiler. Transfer to a baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle evenly over the stew. Slip under the broiler until the bread crumbs and cheese are browned. Serve in bowls or mugs.

Makes 6 servings.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:24 pm

Leann,

Sounds great! What kind of sausage do you use? Italian? Andouille?
Thanks,
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Chilean harvest stew

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Looks like you drew a great response on the first try! Here's another from my records, a hearty vegetarian stew that would be great for the season if it would just cool off a little out there.

HARVEST STEW (CHILE)

In a large saucepan, saute in a little olive oil:

1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red New Mexico chile powder
1/2 cup chopped mild green chile peppers
salt, pepper and dried oregano to taste.

Add:

1 1/2 cups thick tomato sauce (I used more of our endless supply frozen from last summer's huge San Marzano crop)
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed well and drained
1 15-ounce can yellow corn, ditto
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into large cubes. (Pumpkin, acorn squash or other winter squash would also work fine.)

Bring to the boil, turn down heat to very low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. The vegetables will mash up some and result in a thick, chunky stew. You'll never notice it doesn't have meat in it!

A light salad and a chunk of crusty ciabatta bread made an ample meal, with leftovers to spare.
no avatar
User

KDunn

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 pm

St. Matthews

Fall Soup

by KDunn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:50 am

Thank you very much,
I'm going to try both of these. They both look excellent. Robin, I'm going to try pumpkin in your recipe. Leann, I'll use Italian Sweet sausage in yours.
Cooler temps coming soon, I hope.
Karen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Fall Soup

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:57 am

KDunn wrote:I'm going to try pumpkin in your recipe.

Pumpkin should be just fine, and seasonal, too!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:35 am

Robin,

What do you use for the red New Mexican chile powder? Is it a specific brand? Or something like the Ancho Chile powder that I have already?

The butternut squash version sounds wonderful- I love butternut squash and if we stock up at the farmers market now, they'll last thru Xmas.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:55 am

Deb Hall wrote:What do you use for the red New Mexican chile powder? Is it a specific brand? Or something like the Ancho Chile powder that I have already?

Deb, it was just a generic "New Mexico chile powder," a red powder in a tub from Lotsa Pasta. I wouldn't hesitate to substitute freely with any quality red chile powder, although I'd steer clear of chipotle powder or anything else with a distinctly different flavor.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 am

Robin,

Ah, you said the magic words: Lotsa Pasta. My chile powder would probably be good, but now I have a good excuse to go to Lotsa and stock up on some of my favorites, including that fresh sheet pasta I've been meaning to pick up. I think I feel a fresh pasta lasagna coming on... :wink:

Thanks!
Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Saw a good recipe for a french onion type soup that is baked in a french pumpkin(cinderella pumpkin). This was in the last issue of the newspaper insert called Relish. Looked pretty good.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:22 pm

There was a wonderful looking recipe for sweet potato and sausage soup in the last issue of bon apetite. Here is the link to it online:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/240092
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

linguiça

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Anybody have any ideas on where you could get the linguiça called for in the Bon Appetit sweet potato soup recipe above? I'm not familiar with it. I know they have some VERY good chorizo at La Bodega, but I'd love to try some of the linguiça.

Deb
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:39 am

I have a fabulous recipe for Potato Leek soup. Unfortunately, it's at home, and I'm at work. I'll post it if anyone is interested.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:52 pm

I made the Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup that Beth mentioned tonight for dinner and it was really good! I made some small modifications to the original Bon Appetit recipe; below is the way I made it. You can get the linguinca and the smoked paprika at Lotsa Pasta.
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 10- to 11-ounce fully cooked smoked Portuguese linguiça sausage or chorizo sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 medium onions, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices- organic if possible
1 pound white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6 cups low-salt chicken broth (I used Costco Free-Range Chicken broth)
1 t smoked paprika (Pimenton)
1 9-ounce bag fresh spinach or 9 oz frozen spinanch skeewed dry

Preparation:
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain. Add onions and garlic to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add all potatoes and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add broth and smoked paprika ; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Stir in spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve.

Deb