Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Penzey's must-haves?

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:27 am

All,

A friend is going to Penzey's in Indy next week and offered to bring me back goodies. I've never been and looking for your feedback on what you get from Penzey's and love. ( I have cabinets full of spice mixes/rubs so it's got to be good). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Deb
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: Penzey's must-haves?

by Bill P » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am

The Vietnamese Cinnamon is more addictive than crack cocaine.
But, in fairness, their entire product line is fresh and top notch.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks Bill! Do you just use it like regular cinnamon? ( I usually use Saigon).

Deb
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Deb Hall wrote:All,

A friend is going to Penzey's in Indy next week and offered to bring me back goodies. I've never been and looking for your feedback on what you get from Penzey's and love. ( I have cabinets full of spice mixes/rubs so it's got to be good). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Deb

Our spice cupboard is never without the following blends:

California Pepper Blend
Tuscan Sunset (Italian blend)
Sunny Paris

I am also quite fond of their Chili Powders.

I used to live within walking distance of the Lakeville MN retail store and as a result have tried darn near everything they sell...It's ALL good.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks Bill! Do you just use it like regular cinnamon? ( I usually use Saigon).

Deb

It is quite full flavored, but I indeed do use it just like regular cinnamon. The package suggests using 2/3 the amt.
BP
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I prefer the Penzey's Cinnamon, it's a blend of several types and omg good! It's got a strong smell, a little bite to it, enough to know there's good cinnamon in your recipe but not enough to burn.

I love their Bold Taco seasoning for Chicken Taco Pasta and a lot of other mexican dishes. Fox Point for eggs and veggies, actually it's pretty good on just about anything and one of my favorite things they make. I just stocked up myself and tried their Italian Herb mix for the first time today with fried chicken livers, the flavor was very distinctive even after frying. Their dried basil is some of the best I've come across...it has a very fresh, full flavor.

Their Hot Cocoa mix is also top notch. You'd also be pretty happy with their Vanilla...the single strength is quite nice, the double is even better but it is really pricey. Not sure if all stores are doing it or just the one up here, but they had a deal on Vanilla Beans when we were there Friday so may be worth calling the store to see if they have any deals going on.
no avatar
User

JohnS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:13 pm

by JohnS » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Steve P wrote:
I am also quite fond of their Chili Powders.

I used to live within walking distance of the Lakeville MN retail store and as a result have tried darn near everything they sell...It's ALL good.

The Chili 3000 is a really good one. I tried the Chili 9000 but it didn't taste right in a pot - star anise, cardamom, and cinnamon are a bit much.

They were one of the few places I've been to that actually stocked Szechuan peppercorns too - had to nab a jar last time I was there.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks Steve, Madeline and John! I knew this group would steer me in the right direction. So many great suggestions! I have a feeling my friend may regret making the offer...

Is everything in spice bottles or loose/bulk?
Deb
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 am

Deb,
They are in glass spice bottles. Most come in 0.2 oz (5 g) and 0.3 oz (8 g) sizes. A few things like peppercorns come in bags. Love everything I've gotten from them but have to second Steve's recommendation of Sunny Paris. Great on fish or chicken!
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 pm

If you are ever in a city with a Penzey's don't fail to visit. At each product's location, there is a small bottle open for you to feel, smell and taste. We have spent hours just sniffing the bottles. Prepared to be overwhelmed, but the clerks are very helpful. Best of all in St. Louis the store is on Manchester Road just one short block from the larger Schlafly brewery and restaurant. A fine way to spend an afternoon.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Deb Hall wrote:All,

Deb,

Whilst your friend is enroute to and from Indy why don't you drop by Nuts N Stuff at Barret and Kentucky and check out the wall of spices that they have. Keeping Louisville Spiced LOCALLY for over 25 years. I'm just saying, they are local.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks, Richard. Nuts n Stuff is GREAT and I've referred a number of people there. You know I support local, but unfortunately their location is not convenient for me. In this case, my friend will already be there so this time it's all about convenience.... :D

Deb
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm

RichardM wrote:I'm just saying, they are local.

Richard

:? .........How did I KNOW it would get around to this eventually.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Steve P wrote:
RichardM wrote:I'm just saying, they are local.

Richard

:? .........How did I KNOW it would get around to this eventually.

Steps back and YANKS the chain just a little bit harder.... I dunno lucky guess?

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Deb, I'm sure you know this but this statement from your OP bothers me "I have cabinets full of spice mixes/rubs . . ." Ground spices and herb leaves and seeds keep 1 year.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
Next