Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Brisket Rub

no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Brisket Rub

by Madeline M » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 pm

I was just going to PM Steve P on this but figured it may be helpful for someone else out there.

We are going to be doing a brisket this weekend, got a whole packer. We...and by "we" I mean Tim...have the cooking method down. The brisket is coming out very tender through and through. I have figured out how to cut it up which is a feat and a half! However, we've just been using commercial rubs or Butt Rub and we are finding most rubs to be too salty and not having enough depth/complexity to the flavor for us. So I was wondering if anyone had a good beef rub recipe they could share?

My next question is a lot of the rub recipes I'm finding have a large portion of salt, is there a reason for this? I didn't know if it had some actual need to be a prominent ingredient, such as drawing water out to make the bark firmer or something? I'm not opposed to having salt in there, but it should be a flavor enhancer...not the main flavor.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Brisket Rub

by Steve P » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:23 am

Madeline,

I honestly don't have a "secret" rub recipe...but having experimented with several published recipes as well as more than a few of my own concoctions, I can generalize enough to get you started in the right direction.

Chili Powder and Cumin in modest to moderate amounts are both ingredients in most of my homemade Brisket rubs. I think the meat accepts excepts these flavors very well. I also like to use quite a bit of both black and white pepper in my Brisket rub.

Given the long cooking times, I will generally stay away from dried herbs (Thyme, Oregano, etc, etc). I have found these ingredients will often burn, lending (what for me is) an unpleasant flavor. I also stay away from "goofy" stuff like Coffee (as recently popularized by a few TV cooks).
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:14 pm

I recommend brown sugar balanced with cayenne, kosher salt, white and black pepper, cumin. Has a nice kick. I think the brown sugar makes a nice bark.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Steve what do you out in your mop sauce? I'm not quite satisfied with mine. Also have you been able to find a mop in a cooking store around here. I used to have one I made out of rags, but I've been looking to buy a real one. My guests aren't sure what to think about my nasty old rags touching their food. Heh.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 am

Greg R. wrote:Steve what do you out in your mop sauce? I'm not quite satisfied with mine. Also have you been able to find a mop in a cooking store around here. I used to have one I made out of rags, but I've been looking to buy a real one. My guests aren't sure what to think about my nasty old rags touching their food. Heh.

Greg,

Mmmmmmmm..... :? .......I'm not really a "mopper" per se.

I use "store bought" :roll: Weber Smokey Mountain Smokers and the logic behind my not mopping is that every time I lift that lid, I'm losing (minimum) 100 degrees. Also, when I remove the lid, I'm introducing enough oxygen that once I put the lid back on, my fire wants to flare up. The result is that my temps start to "roller coaster" and I end up spending a bunch of time "chasing" my temps. Bottom line, If I'm mopping once an hour I'm probably adding an hour to my cook time, or at a minimum I'm screwing up my timing.

Toward the end of the cooking process (regardless of the meat) there is usually reason to remove the lid to check doneness, apply additional rub, sauce, etc. What I do when I have to have the lid off for any reason, is "spritz" or "spray" the product...I have a small one gallon garden sprayer that I use JUST for BBQ purposes, you can also use a quality spray bottle you get from the hardware store (just make sure you stick a label on it that says "BBQ ONLY"). The trick is to use only soluble products in your "spritz"...anything else (chili powder, dried herbs, etc) will clog the sprayer. In general here is what I put in the sprayer: 1 part fruit (apple juice, peach nectar, etc...your choice) 1 part water or beer and salt, sugar and vinegar to taste.
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I find that a very simple rub works well on brisket ...kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and some cumin.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:10 am

Adobo is a nice base that you can simply add some ingredients to: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika.

Edit: I always like to add more pepper, to the blend, as well.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Madeline M » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

We combined a few recipes, added a bit more cumin and gave it a go. Brisket turned out really well :) I may add a touch more salt and sugar to it next time to bump it up a little, but think we may have a good rub recipe.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Madeline M wrote:We combined a few recipes, added a bit more cumin and gave it a go. Brisket turned out really well :) I may add a touch more salt and sugar to it next time to bump it up a little, but think we may have a good rub recipe.

Madeline,

Yeah...it's incredible how much salt those things can take and still not get too salty. Glad it came out to your liking. I didn't mean to be evasive with my rub recipe, I was just trying to encourage you guys to create something YOU could lay claim to.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 am

Just a comment/thought from the peanut gallery . . .

For medical reasons, we do not add salt to our rubs; we're aware that with the salt more flavor is drawn into the meat, but it's a choice we made and unfortunately we're sticking with it.

For that reason, we tend to go a little more "wild" with rub ingredients. I know Steve doesn't like coffee, and while it has its place (we've tried it) we tend to agree. We do add cinnamon and/or 5-spice powder, tho it's tricky - you want enough to give it a mildly Asian overlay, but not enough so that people can actually recognize that it's spiced with cinnamon! Also, we use a LOT of southwestern chilis - several from the Santa Fe area (mild in heat but strong in flavor) and one from Penzy's (Turkish) - which (as described above for salt) lose their individual flavor and add to a beefy flavor rather than giving just a pepper taste.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Madeline M » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Andrew... I was actually thinking a little cinnamon may be something to try. I'll have to tinker with the 5 spice idea...it may give that touch of sweet without standing out as much as cinnamon can.

Steve P... didn't think a thing of it... I have a lot of recipes I don't/can't share simply because I don't measure half the time and I seldom make a recipe the same way twice... I did at least think to write down this rub recipe and measure it out as I was doing it :) Should make attempt 2 easier!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 am

Madeline M wrote:Andrew... I was actually thinking a little cinnamon may be something to try. I'll have to tinker with the 5 spice idea...it may give that touch of sweet without standing out as much as cinnamon can.

Let us know how it comes out!

We've also done green peppercorns, turmeric, and experimented with all sorts of ingredients.

My basic problem is one you mentioned . . . every time I put a rub together I seem to add something else to try it, but for whatever reason never write down what I did! The main saving grace: almost whatever you try it's never BAD, and if it's just boring or not that great so add more bbq sauce at the end (and let the sauce overpower the rub).

Good luck!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Quite a few of the competition BBQ teams use Pork Pullin Plowboys "Bovine Bold.". You can get it over at Bass Pro.