Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Anyone have any experience with Chess Pie?

by Jackie R. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:15 am

I've never made a chess pie, but my guess would have been that it's pretty straight forward. I requested one for my birthday a coupla years ago at work (we have a work mom that makes something for everyone's birthday) and she followed a recipe she found online that turned out to be a total flop. The sugar was still in crystals and it was runny in the center (poor work-mom knew this and bought me an ice-cream cake as a back up). Work-mom is a woman that doesn't mess things up cause she follows recipes to the exact key. Well... now someone else requested a chess pie, and I volunteered to try to make one. The recipes I've seen online vary a lot, from 1 cup of sugar and 3 eggs, to 2 cups of sugar and 4 eggs. A cup of sugar differential sounds like a disaster if I choose to follow the wrong recipe. Any advice / recommended recipes?
no avatar
User

Trisha W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Anyone have any experience with Chess Pie?

by Trisha W » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 am

Go to allrecipes.com and look at the recipes. I can not for the life of me find my recipe (and I looked). Allrecipes.com has some good recipes, along with reviews of people that tried them. I DO know I got my chocolate chess pie recipe off of there and it worked great.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Jackie,

I've made this one and it's excellent!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Chess-Pie-with-Blackberry-Compote-103581

If you don't want Lemon, I suggest looking for a regular Chess Pie recipe on Epicurious.com. We use it very extensively to pull great recipes; the recipes are reviewed by readers- who are typically "Gourmet Magazine" type cooks. If something is rated highly, I find them to be a great indication of a great recipe.

Deb
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 am

Awesome, thanks guys! Deb - that's the one I'll try for sure. I love that it calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, while my real concern was deciding between 2 recipes that call for 1 versus 2 cups. And really, 6 eggs is better than 3 or 4 as far as I'm concerned :-). That looks delicious. And I totally agree about epicurious - don't think I've ever had bad results from them.