Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Big Green Egg

no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

Big Green Egg

by Greg R. » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:14 am

I'm just curious if anyone else has one of these (Big Green Egg). I have had one for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. I just wanted to share in case someone is on the fence about buying one (makes a grat gift for the grillmaster in your life). It really is a foodies dream...you can smoke, grill, bake, etc. at easy to control temps ranging from 200 to 800+ F. I made a beef tenderloin that really was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever had (marinated in a bourbon marinade - happy to share the recipe). It also uses natural lump charcoal which is easy to save and reignite for your next cook-out. I guess it is as about as earth friendly as sending plumes of black smoke into the air can be. :lol:

Our favorite is pizza. I fire the BGE up to 700 degrees or more and we really get some - I feel like a douche saying it - "coal fired" pizzas off that thing that would give some of the popular joints a run for their money. It's fun to set up a pizza bar and let everyone make their own creations and share/ compare. Yea, it usually turns into a contest...I'll take the blame for that. If it's just the two of us we always make a "boy" pizza and a "girl" pizza. You know, because I don't really care for brocolli or asparagus or whatever on my pizza (although I do usually end up liking it).

My question to the forum...I'm looking to experiment with the crust a little bit. We are using a basic recipe out of a classic cook book and it does a very good job (and you can use it an hour after you make it). We are getting thin cracker-like crusts, but I'd say we still have half a notch to go. Also, has anyone experimented with deep-dish type Louisville or Chicagoo style pies? Any ideas would be appreciated!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Big Green Egg

by Steve P » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 pm

I had the opportunity to cook on one for the first time last month...temp control was VERY easy. I managed to hit my target temp (+/- 10 degrees) right out of the box. It does seem to be a very versatile and well made cooker and I can certainly understand why they have such a following...Assuming my ship comes in before next spring, I'm considering buying a similar cooker made by Primo.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm

At the time of its opening, Corbett's had one and made good use of it. I assume they still do.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Are you wanting to improve on the thin crust, and if so how? I wasn't sure if the question was on that or just about the thick crust.

As for doing a thick crust I'd grab a cast iron skillet and preheat it on the grill. Have your dough partially patted out to about the size of said skillet. Once it's blazing hot do a 75 oil (higher smoke point) : 25 butter (flavor) mixture in the bottom and press out the dough quickly. Should get that nice crunchy crust on it and be warm enough to start cooking the dough all the way through while you put on your toppings. Cover for 10 to melt the cheese and finish cooking.

I usually use the KitchenAid dough recipe and then season up to my liking. I use a pizza seasoning grinder that Krogers makes and with a little kosher salt, good quality flour and filtered water; it's usually a pretty tasty crust.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Madeline M wrote:Are you wanting to improve on the thin crust, and if so how? I wasn't sure if the question was on that or just about the thick crust. .

Thanks for the thick crust suggestion...sounds deadly. :)

I'd like to improve on the thin crust too...sometimes I notice when I eat at the "fancy" pizza places that the crust is slightly sweet. Mine is not. Is it sugar or is there a little corn meal in there?
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 am

Got a BGE this summer - extremely versatile. I've tried pizza once and loved the flavor - still working on the crust myself. The big question is why did I wait so long - BBQ Guru is the next purchase.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Mark Head wrote:Got a BGE this summer - extremely versatile. I've tried pizza once and loved the flavor - still working on the crust myself. The big question is why did I wait so long - BBQ Guru is the next purchase.

I had to look that one up. Very nice man toy.

A couple pizza tips I've learned along the way...I may not me telling you anything you don't know...

1. Temp is key so use a lot of big pieces of coal. Fill it up. Big pieces seem to allow for better oxygen flow. I let the BGE run wide open for pizzas. 700+ degrees.

2, Make sure the stone is Extremely HOT before you attempt your first pie. Crucial. My first pizza was never as good as the others and I finally figured out why. If the stone is not up to temp it actually shields the bottom of the pie from the heat.

3. Buy two pizza peels so you always have a pie on deck. Time is money when the egg is burning at that temp. Use lots of flour or corn meal to lube the peels so you don't melt the skin off your arm trying to get the pie from the peel to the stone. I'm sure everyone figures this one out soon enough. 8)

4. Lotsa Pasta has everything you need for pie night (would love suggestions/comments on all of the following):

We love the pizza sauce that comes in a jar...it's the best we've found (sorry can't remember the name). The sun dried tomatos that come is a jar are good too.

Thin shaved pepperoni from the Deli case (you know, for the man pizza).

Their shredded Mozz is excellent and affordable. The big container makes 2-3 pies. (in the cooler on the West wall)

I also use a little provolone and 1 hard cheese...usually parm. This gives the pie a richer more "professional" flavor.

I buy my oregano there too. If you haven't noticed spices are amazingly cheap at Lotsa Pasta....like half the price of Kroger. (to the right as you come in the door.)

Any other tips anyone has for home making pizza is greatly appreciated!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Mark Head wrote:Got a BGE this summer - extremely versatile. I've tried pizza once and loved the flavor - still working on the crust myself. The big question is why did I wait so long - BBQ Guru is the next purchase.

We know lots of folks who use Guru's on the competition circuit and they are great little gizmos but unless your just enamored with the technology I'm not sure why you'd need one for the BGE. Using a modified Minion Method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html and proper vent control you should be able to get at least a 7 to 8 hour "burn" at smoking temps without the additional technology.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Steve P wrote:

We know lots of folks who use Guru's on the competition circuit and they are great little gizmos but unless your just enamored with the technology I'm not sure why you'd need one for the BGE. Using a modified Minion Method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html and proper vent control you should be able to get at least a 7 to 8 hour "burn" at smoking temps without the additional technology.

Funny, I almost added, "I bet the purists will have something to say about this gadget" to my earlier post. :lol:

I do have a little trouble regulating my temp on the BGE on low and slows. I chalk it up to inexperience, I'm constantly monkeying with the events and over-correcting. The egg wants to burn hot, but you can put the fire out all together if you shut it down too much. I'll have to try the method you linked to.

BTW I looked up the grill you mentioned and I like the oval shape. I find the roundness of the BGE limiting on occasion...
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Greg R. wrote:Funny, I almost added, "I bet the purists will have something to say about this gadget" to my earlier post. :lol:

I do have a little trouble regulating my temp on the BGE on low and slows. I chalk it up to inexperience, I'm constantly monkeying with the events and over-correcting. The egg wants to burn hot, but you can put the fire out all together if you shut it down too much. I'll have to try the method you linked to.

BTW I looked up the grill you mentioned and I like the oval shape. I find the roundness of the BGE limiting on occasion...

<shrugs>...Dunno what to say about the temp thing...ya might want to experiment with the upper/lower vents a bit more. The only time I cooked on a BGE I had no trouble locking it in at 250 (+/- 10). As I recall I had the lower vent cracked about 3/8 of an inch and the top vent closed about 3/4 of the way.

Yeah, the Primo probably doesn't cook any better/worse than the BGE but the oval shape is what is drawing me to the Primo...that and the Made in America thing.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Steve P wrote:
Greg R. wrote:Funny, I almost added, "I bet the purists will have something to say about this gadget" to my earlier post. :lol:

<shrugs>...Dunno what to say about the temp thing...ya might want to experiment with the upper/lower vents a bit more. The only time I cooked on a BGE I had no trouble locking it in at 250 (+/- 10). As I recall I had the lower vent cracked about 3/8 of an inch and the top vent closed about 3/4 of the way.

Yeah, the Primo probably doesn't cook any better/worse than the BGE but the oval shape is what is drawing me to the Primo...that and the Made in America thing.

I think your method may be the key. think I get locked in and walk away and come back in an hour and the temp is up 75 degrees. I'll give it a shot next time.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Greg R. wrote:I'd like to improve on the thin crust too...sometimes I notice when I eat at the "fancy" pizza places that the crust is slightly sweet. Mine is not. Is it sugar or is there a little corn meal in there?

A lot of recipes call for honey, 1-2 tsp should do. If you are using yeast, you can also bloom it with the honey or sugar in warm water, but you'll also get a stronger yeast flavor.