Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

ISO Tomato Pie Recipe

no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

ISO Tomato Pie Recipe

by Dan L. » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:33 am

I had an outstanding tomato pie at the Bardstown Rd Farmer's Market this past weekend. I thought I had remembered seeing this recipe in the Courier, but that turned out to be a tomato tart. Does anyone have this recipe or something close? Thanks!
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 am

Looks like you aren't the only one!

It sounds delicious. No luck with recipes so far though.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:49 am

Star here, maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_pie

A search on the C-J yields two food-related matches, but you have to pay for the article.
no avatar
User

AmyG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Jtown

by AmyG » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm

This is a tart, but maybe would help you get started...I have made this recipe and it was really good.

Tomato Basil Tart

Ingredients
1/2 of a 15-ounce package folded refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1 crust)
1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
5 Roma tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
Fresh basil leaves (optional)

Directions
1. Unfold pie crust according to package directions. Place in a 9-inch quiche dish or glass pie plate. Flute edge; press with the tines of a fork, if desired. Line shell with double-thickness of foil. Bake in 450 degree F. oven 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 375 degree F. Sprinkle crust with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Cool slightly on a wire rack.

2. Cut tomatoes into wedges; drain on paper towels. Arrange tomato wedges atop cheese in the pie shell. In a food processor bowl combine basil and garlic; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

3. In a medium mixing bowl combine remaining mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Spoon cheese mixture over basil mixture, spreading to evenly cover the top.

4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly. Serve warm. If desired, garnish with basil leaves. Makes 8 appetizer servings or 4 main-dish servings.