Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Almost The End of Peach Season :-(

by Deb Hall » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 pm

It's almost the end of the season and we made it out to Bray's just in time- only a week or so left for this wonderful peaches. I bought 20 lbs of seconds for only $14! ( Now I need to figure out what to do with all of them... :wink:

If you haven't been, the drive out to Bray's on 42 is scenic and only about 35-45 mins from Louisville. We love buying peaches and apples, along with other local produce, then treating the kids and ourselves to house-made icecream (for only $2.25 a cone).

Deb
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Almost The End of Peach Season :-(

by Pete O » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 am

Deb,

We have found that peaches freeze quite well for use all winter long. We peel and slice them, and then put them in foodsaver vacuum sealed bags. The texture gets a bit soft, but they are perfect for cobblers, smoothies, ice cream, sorbet, etc.

-Pete
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 am

Pete O wrote:Deb,

We have found that peaches freeze quite well for use all winter long. We peel and slice them, and then put them in foodsaver vacuum sealed bags. The texture gets a bit soft, but they are perfect for cobblers, smoothies, ice cream, sorbet, etc.

-Pete

Thanks, Pete. We do the same with Glad Freezer bags ( only cut them in half though) and LOVE having them in off season. I may need to re-think getting a vaccum sealer though- that's a great idea and I do a reasonable amount of freezing in-season produce any more...

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

Anybody have a great recipe for Peach jam ( freezer or canned)? I'm thinking this might be a great Xmas present too....