Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Lactose-free chicken tortilla casserole - help?

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:38 pm

I have a boiled chicken, fresh roasted tomatillo puree, poblano chili, chayote squash, green onion, cilantro, limes, tomatos, tortilla crisps, and vegan cheese - is this gonna be any good?

1st, will the tortilla crisps substitue okay for fresh tortillas (they're the kind that come in a tall sleeve from latino groceries)? If I lather them up with the tomatillo puree? Suggestions?

2nd, is vegan cheese (a bag of "cheddar / jack blend") an accepatable substitute? Can't do real cheese for my lactose intolerant friend.

I'm thinking NO on the crisps, but I really don't feel like going back to the grocery store. Someone please tell me everything's gonna be fine. Are there other ideas for a cheese substitute that I'm forgetting? If I do have to go back to grocery store, I may pick up some greek yogurt - that's okay for lactose-free people, right?

Gonna serve it with a "sort of" chicken posole... mmm

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Lactose-free chicken tortilla casserole - help?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Sounds good to me, Jackie! The flavors sound good. Sometimes vegan cheese slices don't melt well, but shreds should be okay. Can you test a few in advance? I wouldn't assume about Greek yogurt and lactose intolerance? Maybe you should ask her.

But your overall recipe based on the ingredient lineup? It sure sounds good to me!
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds good to me, Jackie! The flavors sound good. Sometimes vegan cheese slices don't melt well, but shreds should be okay. Can you test a few in advance? I wouldn't assume about Greek yogurt and lactose intolerance? Maybe you should ask her.

But your overall recipe based on the ingredient lineup? It sure sounds good to me!

Thanks Robin! So you think the crisps will be fine? I do plan to make a little test dish so we'll see. Personally, I like vegan cheese, but I like everything so I always overthink my dishes when I'm cooking for someone else.

Btw, she's actually a he :wink: .
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Thanks Robin! So you think the crisps will be fine? I do plan to make a little test dish so we'll see.
I think crispies on top of a casserole usually work great, but if you were going to mix them in, they might get soft. A test dish never hurts! ;)

D'oh! :oops:

I'm probably guilty of some kind of horrible sexism here, assuming that a Guy wouldn't be lactose intolerant ... :?
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:Thanks Robin! So you think the crisps will be fine? I do plan to make a little test dish so we'll see.
I think crispies on top of a casserole usually work great, but if you were going to mix them in, they might get soft. A test dish never hurts! ;)

D'oh! :oops:

I'm probably guilty of some kind of horrible sexism here, assuming that a Guy wouldn't be lactose intolerant ... :?

That's really funny - at least you're comfortable admitting it! I often make generalizations when reading a blog or article without noting the author's name (which usually indicates gender, although I'm sure you know that's not always the case with a name like Robin), and feel ashamed at my presumption when I check after reading. My eyes open wider all the time, though.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Jackie, i really feel your heart through your posts and you are one of those that keep me coming back here........

that being said... i am going to be really honest here and i hope i dont offend you......

i dont think the tostadas are going to work....

(btw i was reading your ingredients, going...mmmm, oh yeah, nice....mmmm.... then i got to tortilla crisps , and i said to myself, what are those?? i thought they were those little tortilla slivers that are made for salads.... lol !!! once you said they were in the tall plastic bag from the tienditas ... i was like ohhhhhhhhhhhhh... tostadas! :wink: :wink: :wink: )

i make a casserole type thing like that as well... but i call it Mexican lasagna. i use regular corn tortillas and slather them with chorizo-refried beans.

honestly, you have the makings of some really awesome tostadas. i would take the chayote, cut it up into matchsticks/slaw-type and squeeze the lime onto it..... then you top your tostadas with it, kind of like lettuce... but not :wink: :wink: :wink:

quick roast on your poblanos under the broiler or over the flame if you have a gas stove.... peel, sliced up and there is another topping....

green onion, cilantro, lime, tomato, lime... a quick pico de gallo.... another topping... or to eat alone with your...... ummm.... tortilla crisps :D :D :D

personally, the crispy texture of the tostadas i think would go well with your "sort-of" chicken posole....
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Becky M wrote:Jackie, i really feel your heart through your posts and you are one of those that keep me coming back here........

that being said... i am going to be really honest here and i hope i dont offend you......

i dont think the tostadas are going to work....

(btw i was reading your ingredients, going...mmmm, oh yeah, nice....mmmm.... then i got to tortilla crisps , and i said to myself, what are those?? i thought they were those little tortilla slivers that are made for salads.... lol !!! once you said they were in the tall plastic bag from the tienditas ... i was like ohhhhhhhhhhhhh... tostadas! :wink: :wink: :wink: )

i make a casserole type thing like that as well... but i call it Mexican lasagna. i use regular corn tortillas and slather them with chorizo-refried beans.

honestly, you have the makings of some really awesome tostadas. i would take the chayote, cut it up into matchsticks/slaw-type and squeeze the lime onto it..... then you top your tostadas with it, kind of like lettuce... but not :wink: :wink: :wink:

quick roast on your poblanos under the broiler or over the flame if you have a gas stove.... peel, sliced up and there is another topping....

green onion, cilantro, lime, tomato, lime... a quick pico de gallo.... another topping... or to eat alone with your...... ummm.... tortilla crisps :D :D :D

personally, the crispy texture of the tostadas i think would go well with your "sort-of" chicken posole....

Wow, I LOVE you, Becky! I was really hoping you'd see this.

I'm gonna go ahead and stick with the casserole idea because this meal is a "make ahead and reheat" kind of thing. But I'll also follow your advice of going with soft tortillas and "matchsticking" the chayote (followed by a quick saute to soften them). I forgot that the crisps are called tostadas (the word is right there on the bag, too!). I will instruct my fellow to use the tostadas as a soup garnish. Oh yeah, and I will definitely be charring the poblano and peeling the skin. There's something about this process that is so satisfying to me, I actually have fun doing it :D .

I'm so happy you're a contributor here, Becky. I learn from you all the time. *hugs*