Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Chihuahua Cheese, what is the secret?

by RonnieD » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Twice now the wife and I have tried in vain to make a delicious cheese sauce from chihuahua cheese, this second time we even went to Supremo's website and used their exact recipe.

The first time it failed to melt at all, the second it melted, but was super grainy, not smooth at all.

This is so simple, I feel like a complete idiot. What could we be doing so fundamentally wrong with heavy cream and cheese that it fails so miserably???

Is it the cheese? I don't have this problem with American, or Cheddar, or even when I make something more complex like a mornay. What is the deal? :( :?:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chihuahua Cheese, what is the secret?

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 am

RonnieD wrote:Is it the cheese? I don't have this problem with American, or Cheddar, or even when I make something more complex like a mornay. What is the deal? :( :?:

Ronnie, it's probably the cheese. Some cheeses are just plain not as "melty" as others.

As an experiment, try making a light bechamel - okay, milk gravy - then grate your cheese and melt the grated cheese into the bechamel. (In other words, a Mornay, same as for Hot Brown.) That should work. 8)
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:37 am

It's an alien conspiracy- I don't think they want us to know!!!

http://youtu.be/o5pWhpnV6CM

(Not sure how to imbed this video on the page)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Marie- That's hysterical!

See, Ronnie- you are not the only one who has problems with mexican cheese sauce... :wink:
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:34 pm

It is a fact that most 'white dip' that you love at Mexican places is just standard White American 'melt' cheese.....sometimes thinned w/ milk.

My ex worked for US Food and sold to most all the Mexican-American places in town, and that's what they used.

...many of them use Chihuahua for their Queso Fundido though, which I prefer anyways.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:24 pm

As Robin said - we make a thin white roux (I guess that's a bechamel) and then add the cheese to preferred consistency and taste.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 am

You need to only use humanely raised, grass fed Chihuahuas. Don't be fooled by the look alike puppy mill canines.