Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Sweet Potato Salad

User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Sweet Potato Salad

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I recall having a sweet potato salad a few years ago that was really delicious. I'm thinking that maybe I had it at Wild Oats or Whole Foods. I don't really remember what was in it, green onions I think, and perhaps some curry powder. Does anyone have a sweet potato salad recipe that sounds similar (or otherwise)?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Beth, I remember purchasing a sweet potato salad at Wild Oats a few years ago. I went looking online for the recipe but couldn't find it. However, I did run across this recipe at the Better Home & Gardens web site that, although different, sounds yummy. Think I am going to have to try this one with two of my favorite foods: sweet potatoes and spinach.

Warm Sweet Potato and Spinach Salad: http://www.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=37161
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:48 pm

I started thinking that maybe it was a caribbean recipe and not curry after all. So I searched around under that and found this from Cooking Light. It is quite different (with sausage - yum!) but it sounds delicious. (No luck yet on the wild oats recipe though)

Caribbean Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans

1 (5-ounce) package yellow rice mix
3 (4-ounce) links hot Italian turkey sausage
2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

Remove seasoning packet from rice mix; discard. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting fat. Keep warm.

Crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet, and stir over medium-high heat until browned (about 8 minutes). Drain sausage, and set aside.

Melt the butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add thinly sliced onion and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (potatoes through cinnamon), and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in sausage, green onions, and beans; cover and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup sweet potato mixture and 1/2 cup rice)

CALORIES 406 (22% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 3.9g,mono 4.2g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 20.2g; CHOLESTEROL 62mg; CALCIUM 52mg; SODIUM 637mg; FIBER 5.4g; IRON 3.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 60.1g
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:09 pm

That sounds FABULOUS!
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 pm

The recipe above for Carribean Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans is wonderful. The first time I made it was for our Supper Club which it earned rave reviews. I have since made it several times for company and just for dinner. Give it a try if you like sweet potatoes!